on this one. I guess it's relatively new--an upgrade to the A560. Now I'm told

to go w/a Fuji, which I have not yet researched. Any thoughts on their lines,

too? Does anyone have the A570is, and what are your thoughts/recommendations

on it? I like having the manual settings, as well as fully automatic. Plus, I

need the IS feature--occ'l get the shakes! Also, since I am rather poor, can

you suggest where I can get it DIRT-CHEAP, but a place w/good reputation. I've

spent days on ebay and amazon-similar prices; please help me w/this? Your

comments very much appreciated!

It's a pretty nice camera. The IS feature is handy and definitely allows for better low-light performance than would otherwise be practical. The manual settings are great, one of the things I also like about Canon's A-series of cameras. And if you're feeling adventurous, there's a unofficial firmware patch called "CHDK" that adds RAW support and some other interesting features.

Prices do seem to be very similar everywhere I've looked online. You may want to check at your local stores. I saw that Staples had the A570IS on sale two weeks ago. Even if you don't save a whole lot you can avoid the shipping charges.

My A570IS is pretty good as far as P&S goes. There just the right amount of scene modes and has manual overides. The zoom has only a few steps from wide to tele. The IS really works. The flash is battery hungry; probably the camera too as it only works on 2 AA batteries. Make sure you get a fresh high capacity set. Other than that, the camera is light, pretty small and takes decent pictures.

Nice camera. I bought one to use for snapshots a few months ago.

If you keep the ISO low, it produces very clean jpegs. IS really comes into play in these situations as it allows you to shoot about 2 shutter speeds higher than otherwise instead of boosting the ISO.

I got mine at 17th St Photo here in NYC for (I think) $159. It might be a little less now since it's no longer Canon's model of the week. :-)

Thank you, gentlemen. You've corroberated what I thought. Appreciate your input. But, I'm still waiting for someone to lead me to that DIRT CHEAP, yet reputable store/seller! Aw, c'mon, kids...we all know it's out there somewhere! No keeping secrets! (or I'll tell my mother...!)

I bought one and returned it.

I guess I'm use to my old Canon S230 build.

While the A570IS has good features, it feels cheap and the flash takes forever to charge back up. The LCD isn't that great either.

It is an affordable camera for people who want to spend less though.

I would suggest a good memory card, as the cheap 1GB ones that came free with it were junk.

Once I feel justified to get rid of my S230, I'll buy a higher end P&S to complement my DSLR...

-Mario

For the money, the A570 IS is hard, if not impossible to beat. For a little bit more the A720 IS gives you more optical zoom and probably some other features. But otherwise, the A570 would be a good choice.

I share Mario's concern over charging the flash, but I suspect a good set of NiMH batteries would go a long way toward helping with that.

We have an A570 IS. It's quite satisfactory for what it is, and IMO better than any reasonably comparable camaera. I looked at the Fuji compacts too, but liked the 570 a lot better, as a camera. It's more of a downgrade to the A710 IS than an upgrade to the A560, but that's not relevant to too much.

Noise is fine at ISO 80 and 100, okay at 200, and not too bad at 400. The IS works fairly well. There are fairly full manual controls.

I don't find the use of 2 AA batteries a bad thing--compact and easy to find anywhere in a pinch. For longer life and faster flash recycling, we use lithium AA's, although they do cost more than alkaline. (The NiMH rechargables are only 1.2 V, and are too slow to recharge the flash, IMO.)

In short, for the price, I don't think you can beat the A570 IS. For a few dollars more, I would also look at the newer A720 IS.

I have a friend who has the A570IS and loves it. I have the A720IS and think it's one of the best deals on the market (read the reviews on DPReview and Bob Atkins' site). It's loaded with features, but also zooms out to 210mm. While it can't beat my dslr in image quality, at lower ISO it performs superbly, and higher ISO performance is clearly better than the previous generation, and useable with the exception of ISO1600 above print sizes of 4x6. In fact, my dslr has remained in the bag a lot more lately because I find the A720IS to be an incredibly capable camera in most situations. Plus the price is good!

I just finished a trip during which I carried the A570 IS, and a Fuji F20.

Used the Canon during daytime outside, ISO 80 & 100,in "vivid" color mode, sometimes with a slight - on exposure compensation, Program and aperture priority. Shot mostly landscape and macro.

I would recommend it for general use, not at high ISO's.

Used the fuji indoors and night without flash, ISO 400 to 1600, with the intention of printing in B&W. Used it a little outside with bright sun, at ISO 100 & -2/3 on the exp. compensation.

Nice for high ISO/B&W.

Re the a570 IS, have been very pleased with the prints.

Nice shot, Taylor, especially with it being ISO 800! I think the Digic III processor really makes a difference which I've noticed while comparing an ISO 800 shot from an A710IS to one taken from my A720IS. I remember when I used a PowerShot G5, which I absolutely loved, but I couldn't use much more than ISO 100 without starting to see noise. ISO 400 was pretty bad, actually. What a difference a few years makes. I'm loving my A720IS...I got it right before Christmas at Office Depot for $179 during a 2-day last minute Christmas sale. Thanks for sharing your picture.

A follow up to my comment above. This last weekend I printed some images taken at iso 200, outside. Heading up to 8x10 size, the color, or chroma noise was easily noticable.

I Settled on opening the jpeg with ACR, and reducing the color noise before further post processing. That did result though in my doing more sharpening, and keeping under 8x10.

• 5 weeks later...