Lens compatibility with D100?

joe_monahan2

I wonder if there is any resource that lays out what lenses will work with the

D100. I'm buying some used lenses on eBay and I'm assuming most all will fit,

but many will not auto focus or auto expose.

Are my assumptions correct? Are there Nikon lenses that won't even fit on my D100?

I bought an older (but good condition) nikon bellows, a 300mm and a couple old

nikon mount vivitar zooms. Oh, and also a Sigma tele-converter.

Finally, what about flashes? Is there anyway to tell which will be functioning

automatically? And if they aren't what happens, do they just fire at max

capacity every time?

Sorry so many questions!

Joe

Nearly all AF lenses should work on the D100. You can use MF AI lenses if you don't mind guessing at exposure or using a hand held meter. Non of the manual focus lenses will use the camera meter. You hvae to move up to the D200 for that. The D100 is a great camera IMO. I took one to Europe this year, shot everything raw and got fantastic shots.

Just packing my D100 up tonight. A friend bought it. My D300 arrives next Wednesday!!!!

Everything you won tonight should fit as is *EXCEPT* for the Nikon Model II Bellows. You will need to put an extension tube between the bellows and the D100 lens mount, otherwise it will not clear the handgrip when you try to mount it.

NONE of what you purchased tonight will meter, autofocus, or autoexpose on the D100 EXCEPT for the Sigma 1.4X converter (and then only when used with an autofocus lens). You will be restricted to manual exposure mode, with no in-camera light metering.

For flashes, you would be well advised to stick to a Nikon unit such as the older Nikon SB-80DX, SB-28DX or SB-50DX (your D100 uses D-TTL flash) if you want fully automated flash exposures. Current production units (Nikon SB-600/800) are also backwards compatible to D-TTL AFAIK.

Incidentally, the DX designated flashes do NOT work in iTTL, only D-TTL. But the D100 uses D-TTL, so that's not an issue for you.

Shouldn't you have asked these questions BEFORE you went on your buying spree? ;-) ;-)

Well yea, of course :-) At least my bids were low enough I figured I could loose the money without too much pain.

I got lucky with the vivitar 210 - turns out the model I bought was a good one.

It looks like any inexpensive extension tube should work with the bellows since I won't have to worry about metering or auto-focus.

I see some on eBay for $10, but the Kenkos are always near $100.

Joe

Just to be precise, some manual-focus lenses can meter with the D100. The deciding factor is not whether the lens is auto or manual focus, but rather whether it has a built-in CPU to communicate with the D100's meter. All Nikon AF lenses have a built-in CPU and most manual-focus lenses do not. However, there are a few manual-focus P lenses do, such as the 500mm/f4 P and 45mm/f2.8 P, plus those where people add an aftermarket CPU onto a manual-focus lens.

The same applies to the D40, D40x, D50, D70/D70s, and D80.

"What is a non-AI lens? " -- See here: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm#f

"how will it damage my camera?" -- Most non-AI lenses will damage the small switch on the D100 lens mount that senses the position of the aperture ring (on AF or AF-D lenses). Looking at the front of your camera, at about the 8 o'clock position, and you will see this small sliding switch.<div>00O0ND-40965984.jpg.5cce17f19e608cbad99a3769c445b3c1.jpg</div>