I have been thinking lately about a getting a filter for my new 17-55,

I've had filters before,but just for protection,so they werent any high quality

ones. But now with my new lens, Obviously i wont be putting anything o it other

than best quality.

I shoot potraits, and Landscape, and i would be able to buy to filters for each

situation

any suggestions?

Ryan,

since you've bought a very nice sharp lens I would imagine you wish to keep it at it's best. For protection I follow Nikon's recommendation - - either none or the Nikon NC (Neutral or No Color) filter - - yes Nikon makes one. This is a clear optically high performance glass. I have one on all my lenses on my digital cameras. Nikon does recommends not to use UV or skylight filters on their digital cameras (I read this myself in my d200 manual - please don't ask me which page). They do however recommend the use of Polarizers & ND (Neutral Density) filters for appropriate situations.

Nikon makes a CPL (Circular Polarizer) which is a very nice top quality filter. You can get both Type I & Type II off eBay. Personally I prefer Type I as the outer ring is easier to maneuver than the Type II (I have a tendency to get finger prints on the slim ring one).

If not Nikon (which are high quality) I'd personally turn to Singh Ray, they have two or three different typed of Circular Polarizers & ND filters. All of top quality.

B+W I have mixed feelings about as I had a Polarizer back in my film days separate on me. A lot of money & useless....

These are the only filters I use today

a, Nikon NC

b, Nikon or Singh Ray CPL (Circular Polarizer)

c, Singh Ray ND (Neutral Density)

but Heliopan & B+W are also superior filters

all these are expensive filters & can be ordered through better camera online places or potentially found on eBay.

JMHO

Lil

If you absolutely have to use a protective filter, the B+W MRC filters are about as good as filters get.

I prefer to simply use a lens shade for protection and save the filter for those occasions when I'm shooting in a "hostile" environment (like salt spray).

The higher-end Hoya polarizers (SHMC and Pro) have performed well for me. Until a few years ago I found all Hoya filters so hard to clean that I wouldn't have accepted them for free. I don't know what they did to improve the coatings, but they no longer show a "film" after cleaning.

Lil Judd wrote:

<br>

<br>> since you've bought a very nice sharp lens I would imagine

<br>> you wish to keep it at it's best. For protection I follow

<br>> Nikon's recommendation - - either none or the Nikon NC

<br>> (Neutral or No Color) filter - - yes Nikon makes one. This

<br>> is a clear optically high performance glass. I have one on

<br>> all my lenses on my digital cameras. Nikon does recommends

<br>> not to use UV or skylight filters on their digital cameras

<br>> (I read this myself in my d200 manual - please don't ask me

<br>> which page).

<br>

<br>Lil, I think you've misinterpreted the manual or perhaps forgotten specifically what it says. Page 181 on the English language D200 manual says:

<br>

<br>"The NC and L37C filters are recommended for protecting the lens."

<br>

<br>The L37C is a UV filter.

<br>

<br>> a, Nikon NC b, Nikon or Singh Ray CPL (Circular Polarizer)

<br>> c, Singh Ray ND (Neutral Density)

<br>>

<br>> but Heliopan & B+W are also superior filters

<br>

<br>For what it's worth, the manual also recommends using only Nikon filters because others may cause problems with the AF. ;-)

<br>

<br>And no, I don't follow that recommendation, although currently, the only filters I happen to use these days are Nikon NC's and a Nikon CPL II. But I also have a High Tech ND GRAD which I will happily use if ever needed again. And I have used some Tiffens and Hoyas in the past (mixed results with the Tiffen).

<br>

<br>larsbc

B+W MRC UV

It's built better than the Hoya, It's kinda waterproof, and it's EASY TO CLEAN.

Try cleaning a 77mm Hoya SHMC. I don't even think you can get it 100% clean unless you carry around lens cleaner. I have an SHMC on my 50mm but 50mm is very small and the lens is plastic anyway.

The B+W feels solid, it's advertised as very easy to clean and it sheds water.

Hoya makes a good filter but it's hard to clean.