Minimum Order Requirement?

Hi Everyone:

I'm in the midst of restructuring my 2008 rates and I keep going back and forth on the idea of requiring a

minimum order. Typically, total sales range around $750 - $1,500. My session fees are currently $150

studio / $175 location (but will go up to $175 studio / $225 location in 2008). I'd like to ramp up my

average sales and I'm thinking of structuring the minimum order so that the sale is at least $600 (session

fee and order combined). I want my image to be high-end and I don't mind if 75% people flinch at the

rates (I'd rather not work and not get paid than work and not get paid). Feel free to check out the work at

http://www.karenlippowithsphotography.com. I think my rates are justified based on the quality of my

work.

I'm getting enough "meaty" jobs to keep the business afloat, but I really want to grow in 2008. I just need

to cut out the few people recently who have purchased very little. I know the work was good (they've

raved about it and one shot might be picked up by a publication) but I also know they weren't really in a

financial position to contact me in the first place. We live in MI and the economy is in the tank here. I

seem to be getting calls recently from several people who want my work but barely squeak by on actually

purchasing anything. (I almost feel bad, but then I remember I'm running a BUSINESS.)

I hate to lock people in though. Is this a big turn-off to prospective clients? Personally, I don't know that

I would like to be told I HAVE to spend X amount -- just a psychological thing about being in control.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Cheers!

Karen

Wow...your website is fantastic! Can I ask who designed it? Is it someone in Detroit?

Anyway, in response to your question...what about requiring a non-refundable $600 deposit when booking a session...to cover session fee and to go towards an order. Then it becomes just a standard thing that is explained right at booking...no questions or confusion. If you can't afford the deposit, I'm not your photographer. I like that you explain on your website about giving back...I think in a way that gives you more "right" to require minimums.

Hi Corrie:

Thanks the compliment on the web site. In fact, the person who designed it is someone in

Detroit - ME. I used to be a commercial designer / web developer before working solely

as a photographer.

I too think the idea of upping the "deposit" (I'll just call it a session fee because it is non-

refundable) is the way to go. It will just have a huge "order credit" portion, which I think

makes people feel good.

You think $600 is a good price point or too high (again, going for the "flinch factor" on

this -- I don't mind if most people won't bite, but I want SOME people to bite)?

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I welcome everyone's POV on this.

:) Cheers

Karen

<i>I don't know that I would like to be told I HAVE to spend X amount</i>

<Br><br>

Well, they <i>don't</i> have to spend X amount, do they? You just won't happen to have anything to sell for less than that amount, and if less than that is what they have, there will be Acme Studios down the street that can get them in between dog portraits. For that matter, you might even work out a referral deal with some more bargain-oriented photographers that would be happy for the chance to low-ball on riskier clients. Checked out your site - nice work.

Good point, Matt. That's true. I did restructure the rates so that the minimum has a

"fighting chance" of being around $600. I still don't feel comfortable requiring a certain

dollar amount beyond the session fee, so I think this is the way to go.

By the way, I checked out your work as well and love the sepia shot of the men walking away

on the About page. You seem like quite the outdoorsman. Thanks again :)

Karen

Hi Karen. I totally understand you wanting to set a minimum. If you are like me you spend

a good amount of time with your clients and like to be rewarded for it. Here's what i do.

On my families and children I set a minimum and tell them at the end of a consultation.

Establish your value and get them involved first. I also tell them that everything I do is 100

percent guarenteed so that there is no risk. yes they have a higher minimum, but i also

ask them that if they get images that they will treasure forever and be proud to display

rather than put in a drawer, isn't it worth it? Once again I remind them they are never

forced to pay these prices unless the love the images. I also tell them that they have no

risk because if they don't love the images, I will also refund their entire session fee.

My pricing is also designed that they can spend a lower amount, but they get so little

compared to buying more and getting lot. Over all you will still get dissapoiinted once in a

while, but it qualifies most of your clients

>>> Typically, total sales range around $750 - $1,500. (edit) I'd like to ramp up my average sales. <<<

1. Studio Fee: $200, Location Fee: $250

2. Increase the session fees as above, and include a print credit in that fee (as mentioned): US$600 sounds reasonable, i.e. $400 print credit for a studio session etc.

3. Increase each print price by xx%

N.B. I could not find your print prices; hence I cannot give a calculated answer: also I need to know the most popular print size chosen by the customers over the past year and what range of print sizes you, at this time offer.

4. Drop the smallest print size you presently offer.

5. At the top end, include canvassed, lacquer and framed 16 x 20; 20 x 24 and 30 x 40 (in those sizes only and at a cost befitting them)

6. Give a 100% guarantee of a refund of the session portion of the fee, if the customer is not satisfied with the results of session, and, if you like, include a line that purchase of prints indicates satisfaction.

WW

Thanks again, Everyone. I really appreciate the insightful answers and suggestions. Just

as a note, no I don't post my rates online. I have a nice 18 page PDF "Rates & Welcome

Packet" that I send out. I don't want too many areas that I have to update when I make a

minor change (I either spend hours updating data or I inevitably forget something).

I already guarantee the prints and I have a reshoot policy (though it is really written so

that parents don't stress about misbehaving or uncooperative children). I'm nervous about

offering a money-back session guarantee only because I've still spend several hours and it

means I still may get someone who just wants to "play around in the studio" with no

intention of ever making a purchase (surprisingly, a colleague of mine has had a few of

these--he thinks the client just figured out how to rip the JPEGs from the web and never

called again -- I have my gallery locked in Flash and watermarked to prevent this).

Anyway, I'm rambling. I just wanted to thank everyone for coming up with some very

workable and creative solutions.

Cheers! :)

Karen

>>> Just as a note, no I don't post my rates online. <<<

Brava.

Nor did / would I.

>>> I have a re shoot policy (though it is really written so that parents don't stress about misbehaving or uncooperative children). I'm nervous about offering a money-back session guarantee only because I've still spend several hours and it means I still may get someone who just wants to "play around in the studio" with no intention of ever making a purchase <<< (KL)

Good Point. Noted. Considered.

I note also this is most likely dependant upon: a mix of the base demographic; and I expect, the fact that you have a speciality in Child Portraiture, which renders the client and the subject two different entities, and therefore by definition, the client is one step removed from the effort and involvement of the shoot, and hence the ongoing commitment.

I am not extensively experienced this selective `child portraiture` niche as you site describes you are, I found this very interesting.

Thank you.

WW

• 2 weeks later...

Karen,

Great site - it's always good to see fellow Michiganders doing good work.

"...I have my gallery locked in Flash and watermarked to prevent this"

Given your experience as a Web Developer I'm sure you know this better than I, but it is still pretty easy to capture an image from a Flash site. Obviously not the same quality as a higher res jpeg, but if they are ripping off pics, quality is not a top concern.

Good luck in the coming year!

Hi Eric:

Thanks for your response. Yes, I know it's still possible to rip images from a Flash site

(wink, wink), but it takes a bit more work and I'm not about to reveal how to do it. I figure,

if people want my watermarked, low-res image from Flash, they're desperate and I won't

stand in their way.

Where in MI are you? What do you shoot? Do you know a Julie Fournier who is connected

to the Russell Industrial Center by chance? That's where my studio is.

Cheers :)

Karen

Karen,

I am in Traverse City, though I lived in SE Michigan (Detroit and then Grosse Pointe Woods) for all but the last four years.

Photography has been a passion for years, though it is not a source of income, just pleasure. Consequently, I shoot a little bit of everything - the images in my PN portfolio are a pretty good sample of what I shoot.

I don't know Julie, and you'd be surprised about how many Fournier's are actually out there.

Again, great shots, your ability to get your subjects comfortable, along with your technical skills, is quite evident. Good luck with your new pricing structure.

Regards,

Eric