Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S

cmulcahy

Reading this has now made me very leery of buying or selling except through the normal reputable dealers. I was on the verge of trying to sell my 28-70mm 2.8 and D2X to UsedCameraBuyer.com, but it requires that I send the equipment to them and then they mail the check to me. Is anyone familiar with them or dealt with them before?

Barry Clemmons

You might hope that, but no used photo equipment dealer is going to purchase your gear sight unseen, send you a check, and then hope that what you send them (if you send it at all) after the check clears is what you said it would be. That's pure fantasy.

I have never sold to UsedCameraBuyer.com, but they seem to be a reputable firm. They sell on eBay under the "Shutterblade" user ID.

Again, why all the agony over this? Most of us agree that E-Bay is like a rough neighborhood; one must know what they are doing in order to have a hassle free transaction. At least with Photo.Net classifieds we area a smaller community with a feedback forum and the ability to give the boot to those that don't abide by the rules. As stated previously, there is a Nikkor 28-70 F/2.8 listed in the PN classifieds.

To be blunt, the photo.net classifieds are no safer than eBay, and the neighborhood can be just as rough. It's just targeted by fewer thugs. Anyone can join at no cost without any ID verification, post a classified ad at no cost, sell an item, and then take the money and run. Should a deal go bad, the buyer has even fewer recourses available than on eBay.

As with all transactions that don't take place face to face, caveat emptor, be it eBay, photo.net ...

• 10 months later...