BH-25 pro

yakim_peled1

<p> Dear Photo Nutters? :-) </p>

<p> Following <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=00NpXH">this thread</a> I eventually decided to purchase two heads. A

small one - BH-25 pro - and a medium one - probably Q3 but I also consider the

BH-40. I looked for reviews on the BH-25 pro but came out with very little.

That made me a bit nervous so I decided to open a specific thread to it. </p>

<p> I plan to use it with 40D w/o grip and either 10-22 or 24-105/4 or 100/2.8.

Total weight is 1-1.5 Kg. As it is designed for 4 Kg. logic dictates it will

have no problem dealing with such weights. However, I would like to ask you

specifically: Which gear do you mount on it, how much it weighs and how well

does it handle. </p>

<p> Any other info will also be appreciated. </p>

<p> Happy shooting and a happy new year, <br>

Yakim. </p>

http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Large-Socket-Tripod-14110/dp/B00019LWJS

Apologies. I was only partially accurate. At 285 g. it is heavier than the BH-25 Pro (186 g.) but lighter than the Q3 (385 g.).

As it seems to me now (and I welcome corrections), for my light setup (1-1.5 Kg.) the BH-25 Pro will do just fine while being lighter and cheaper. For my heavy setup (3-3.5 Kg.) it is not adequate.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I don't consider the BH-25 suitable for field use except under extraordinary circumstances. The BH-55 (or Arca-Swiss Z1) is the stalwart, but a BH-40 might suffice.

The main problem with smaller ball heads is that there is no in-between setting to position the camera. Small heads tend to be either locked or unlocked, and often exhibit slip-stick action under partial tension. The weight of the camera and lens hardly matters as long as the head meets minimum requirements.

Heads with larger balls not only hold more weight, but can be set under partial tension so that the camera can be positioned and used without locking them down. This is a great time saver! The only time I lock the head (Arca B1) is when I need to take my hands off the camera.

the largest rig i've seen held locked tight with the Leica large ball head was a Nikon F3HP w/ MD-4 motor drive combination attached to the original Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8s ED as featured here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/80200mm3.htm

As that reported there that lens alone weighed over 4lbs (1900grams).

Edward's post, is as usual. spot on.

One of the reasons the Arca-Swiss Monoballs hold heavier loads than most similar sized ballheads because they use a unique elliptical shaped ball

Yakim,

I don't have a BH-25, but I do have a Manfrotto 32620R which is comparable, though larger and heavier overall. The BH-25, with an Arca-style clamp, would be much better than the clumsy, proprietary Manfrotto QR.

A small ball head is appropriate on a small, table-top tripod or a clamp. I bought the Manfrotto for use on a Manfrotto Super-Clamp. Appropriate situations would include low angle closeups in nature, on a ladder (the clamp) or where large tripods would present an hazard. I find a bean bag is easier to carry, nearly as effective and always legal.

Hi Yakim

The lightest Arca Swiss head would probably be one of the Z1 head variants (there are many) with a standard Arca Swiss clamp; about 1.2...1.4 pounds per the B&H web site. Arca does not make any medium weight or small heads, only big and bigger. I have a B1, which is the model the Z1 superceded, its a very fine head but its neither small nor light (1.7Lbs)

Since you are counting grams, have you considered the Acratech V2 head which B&H lists at 1.0 pound. It is approximately the equivalent of a RRS BH-40 or Q3 head but has the advantage of a very exposed ball for easy cleaning in dusty environments. It uses the de facto standard Arca Swiss style clamp and easily handles the weight you describe(rated to 25 pounds). I have listed a V2 link below. Incidently, I have a BH-25 and when you loosen the ball the base also is freed and will rotate. I use mine on a Gitzo 0011 table top tripod for macro and close up work and occationaly for my point and shoot. Hope this helps.

Paul

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431873-REG/Acratech_1118_V2_Ballhead_with_Quick.html

>> A small ball head is appropriate on a small, table-top tripod or a clamp.

Well, the Gorillapod seems to be fine with it.

>> Since you are counting grams, have you considered the Acratech V2 head which B&H lists at 1.0 pound.

Yes I have (forgot to write it). I am not 100% sure about that one. I am currently leaning towards the Q3 as it is the lightest and cheapest.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I know some folks might groan, but I use the BH-25 with a Gitzo 530 (very small tripod). I've used it with my Tokina 12-24/4 and 20D (total of 1.3 kg) and it worked just fine for my daytime shots of some mountains, streams, and waterfalls while hiking in Colorado. Obviously there are more stable solutions (which I own) but the Gitzo 530 and RRS BH-25 easily fit in my daypack.

Imho, a tripod that you actually bring/use is better than no tripod at all.

I plan on using my 70-200/4 with the same setup when I return to Colorado in a few weeks. The ballhead is not the weakpoint of my setup (it locks down pretty solidly) so I think it depends on what legset you have.