Should I wait for the PMA Expo?

cameralogic

I already have a shopping cart complied on Adorama and didn't go through with

it. I know the PMA Expo is at the end of this month, and the body I am looking

to buy (if I were to buy today) would be the D80.

I am not asking "about rumors concerning which cameras or lenses Nikon will

introduce in the future or any format". But if Nikon were to release a updated

D40 or D80, how long would it be until they ship? AND how much would the D80

price drop...

I would expect Nikon to start shipping all new consumer-grade DSLR bodies and lenses they announce prior to the PMA within a month, i.e. within February. That was what they did with the D40, D40x and D80 in the last year or two. I also don't expect much shortage of the new stuffs. Manufacturing of those items must have already started.

As far as price drops for old models go, nobody knows. Now that the D300 has been out for over a month, remaining new D200 bodies are still sold at $1400 and up; that is higher than what I paid for my D200 back in April, 2007.

Shun may have a point. as Thom Hogan has pointed out, production of the D40x has ceased for the time being, so it could be that they've ramped up production of some new model. however, Thom also mentions that D300 production has increased, which could correlate to D40x production ceasing (for the time being).

I would just buy what is available and that's it. Given if its only end of this month, you already waited until now, I would wait a few more weeks just so that it quiets your nerves.

Even if you get it now or later .. a D70 is good bargain at like $200 I heard. One can always get a better camera down the road.

While the D200s may still be charged at a premium, one can always get from the used market for cheaper.

Thanks so much guys! You are all so quick with quality answers. I'm going to hold out until post-PMA to finalize my decision. It will give me a few more weeks to get my finances in order; and I'll have the peace of mind that I made the most informed decision.

[nt]

The only relevant new development I am waiting for at PMA is a possible new Canon FF body in the prosumer segment. This may or may not reduce the sale price of the D300 or the D3 (and in turn D200 and D80 in a minor way).

If you do not need the D80 now why not wait? A D90 will give you a chance at ebay to get the panic sale of D80^^.

Anthony -

Based on Nikon's site the D200 is still in production (they tend to remove the camera from the site when production stops.) Although, it is now listed as having a "New Low Price!"

Based on Ebay sales $850 seems to be the new gold standard for a D200 (used)...Sigh...

Dave

"The D200 is definitely no longer in production."

> I am not being argumentative, but simply want to see the source. If I am to start repeating this, the only source I can offer right now is "Shun and Ellis say it isn't". For my purposes, I need more.

"In production" in camera lingo goes not necessarily mean the item is scheduled for a production/manufacturing run, and has active tooling and parts on order.

It often merely means that existing stock of the camera is in the warehouse or distribution channels, although the last production run may have been months and months ago.