Ricoh Singlex slr with Nikon mount

steve_dittmar

I recently purchased an early Ricoh Singlex with the Nikon mount,with Ricoh

lens in very good to excellent condition, for about $75. My Nikon Handbook says

these are "highly sought after"

by Nikon collectors.Did I get a great deal, or is this "highly sought after"

a bunch of balogney?

Can`t answer except yesterday a camera shop owner proclaimed how well made and built

for abuse the Ricoh cameras were. Problem was they were ugly and would not sell. Ricoh

sold mostly industrial cameras such as for a scanning electron microscope.

The discussion evolved from the ugly but functional Leif studio digital. It looks like it was

carved from a chunk of old blue/green plastic. And they want 18000/35000 grand for it.

I don't know about "ugly", but they sure are "basic". I recently inherited one from an uncle who originally bought it at the recommendation of a professional photographer. It doesn't seem too different (to me, at least) in appearance and functionality than the Nikkormat I once used. In fact, they both have the same Copal Square shutter. The only thing I wish my Ricoh had would be a working meter and a hot shoe.... or even a cold shoe. My Ricoh has a screw-mount; the Nikon mount sounds quite interesting. Can't answer your question, though... sorry.

Can't answer the question as to value, but these were essentially similar to the Nikkorex

low cost cameras of the day, which were made by mamiya, who I believe sold the tooling

to ricoh, or perhaps they were all made in the same factory.

If they are 'sought after' it would be to complete a collection, not to use to take photos.

The Ricoh Singlex is a huge and robust SLR and I used to own up to four Singlex through collecting and selling and all are reliably functioning but blunt photographic instruments. Some say the Ricoh 55mm f1.4 is actually a Nikkor 50mm but I compare the size and elements and they are not the same lens for sure. Even though it use the F mount not all lenses are mountable on the Singlex body and vise vera on the Ricoh F mount lenses to Nikion bodies.

Its a vary heavy camera just like early KONICA slr'S which is the heaviest in terms of weight (more than Nikon F) and can be use as a weapon/hammer if need be :)

You got a good price of $75 but if your set include the original Ricoh CDS meter attachement and original hot shoe accessory then you got a steal. They are a collectors and oddity items that should only be appreciated as such, if you're comparing it to functioning FM10 or FM-2's then you're missing the point.

Hi Vivek, My comments was not aim at you and I'm sorry you take it as such. I should of not mentioned the FM10 analogy. My comments of camera as hammer is a figure of speech, don't take it literally.

When I say early Konica SLR's I mean the models before the Autoreflex series, like Konica F, FS, FP and FM's. The early models use a different bayonet mount then the later Autoreflex and they're are extremly heavy built, about 200g heavier then the Nikon F. I only mentioned they are heavier then the Nikon F and not more reliable then Nikon's by any means. I don't make up tales as I have all the early Konica models except the F (first Konica SLR)so I have compared them by weight.

I'm just happy that people still trying to know or find out about these odd ball camera's like the Ricoh Singlex so their not just buried in collector's book.

Don't want to start the new year on the wrong foot so apologies if my comments offend anyone, Happy New Year!