What do you think about a GENERIC BATTERY from EBAY for my 5D ?

jon_kobeck

I got two extras from Sterlingtek, and compared to Norwegian prices on original batteries, I think I could have bought somewhere between 7 and 10 third-party batteries for the cost of 1 original, so the math is easy.<p>

Before ordering, I read up on Sterlingtek and found that all I could find were positive reviews, and when I got the batteries, I've not been disappointed. Battery life is at least as good as the original, possibly slightly more, but I've not been able to do any battery life tests in stable temperatures yet. Their performance so far has left nothing wanting, though, and it's great not having to worry about running out.

I've never tried a generic but the Sterlingtek brand has proved to be both excellent and

longer lasting than my Canon brand 511s. The 2 Canon 511 I owned only lasted 6-12

months. The Sterlingtek is going strong into the 3rd year. I handed it down from my 10D to

5D. Also, the Sterlingtek brand is like 1/4 the cost of the Canon...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Generic might be OK. but Generic from eBay might not be worth the savings. Do you want to pop just any old potentially harmful battery into your 2 thousand dollar camera?

You and your camera are worth the couple extra bucks you might spend buying from a reputable dealer, like B&H.

I've bought a total of 6 generic BP511s off eBay at a total cost of $42 including shipping to my doorstep (two separate purchases).

In addition, I have two BP511 and four BP511As bought at various times, which cost about $45 each, plus shipping.

The generics work identically except they may actually last a little longer because they are all higher power rated than the OEMs.

I have heard rumor that some cheap generics don't have a surge protection in the power circuit. But, I have not heard of anyone having an actual problem, and have had no problems what-so-ever myself.

I think it's pretty much a no-brainer. Six for the price of one.

<i>"The only problem you will find with generics is that they will not operate in very low temperatures. Mine used to stop working at 6 degrees C. Same applies to the generic units for the 1D cameras."</i>

<p>

That may be a bit of an over-generalization.

<p>

I don't doubt your experience but mine has been just the opposite. The generics I use for both my 10D and 1D MkII out perform the Canon batteries in all respects - including cold weather operation.