Trustworthy vendors for a 4x5 Graphic

eli_chartkoff1

Eli, 'Pacemaker' Graphics were a series introduced in 1947. They came in 4 x 5, 3 x 4, and 2 x 3 (medium format) sizes.

All Crowns are Pacemakers. A Crown never has a focal plane shutter, despite claims you may hear to the contrary. A Century is like a 2 x 3 Crown, except it's made of plastic instead of wood. (But it's good plastic.) Speeds were made long before 1947, so not all Speeds are Pacemakers.

Eli, before you spend a penny visit www.graflex.org , read the FAQ and if needed ask questions there. That site has more expertise on Graflex' press cameras than this one.

Jim at mpex.com knows the cameras well, is famous for being a good person who doesn't exploit the ignorant.

get the speed. it ha s focal plane shutter. this lets you use a lens with no shutter. shutterless lenses are cheap. i have had 4 speed graphics and the focal plane shutters all worked better than the shutters in their respective lenses.

have fun

eddie

Good advise from Dan. If not very familliar with the Gralfex line of cameras, it would be good to read mcuh over at the Graflex.org site. There are some good things to know about the cameras before you pick oneout for yourself. There are three different film holder backs. The two that take the industry standard double sided film holders, are the Graphic spring back, and the later and sometimes retro-fitted Grafloc back. The Graphic takes only double-sided holders, and some low profile accessory backs like the Polaroid 545 and Grafmatic six shot septum holders. The Grafloc has a completely removeable focus panel that allows the use of more positive slide locks for securing accessory holders, 120 roll-filmbacks and so forth. Though low profile accessory filmholder backs will work with the earlier type Graphic Spring back, the Grafloc slide locks tend to prevent light leakage when opperating dark slides or winding roll backs etc... Also, Polaroid backs are heavy enough to fall out if one moves around the camera. The third type is rare,butthey are out there and were sold as an option back. This is the Graflex back, which was used on the big SLR series of cameras dating way back to the early 1900's. Standard film holders wont fit these backs, and they look a lot like grafloc backs with slide locks.

Anyway, there a little information that ought to spark your curiosity and interest only regarding back types. There areother pro and cons relating to lenses, Speed or Crown? IT isn't just weight. The Speed in definately heavier, but allows more accurate shutter speeds if working properly, and faster speeds, and the use of lenses mounted in barrel or with otherwise non-functioning shutters. They can also focus a slightly longer lens becauseofthe deeper body. The Crown can focus a shorter wide-angle lens, is lighter, but is completely dependent on front leaf shutters, and therefore must be reasonbly accurate. Most vintage shutters are all over the place. Personally I prefer the 2x3 Graphics with 120 rollfilm, and use the Speed, Crown, and Century Graphics regularly. But I have a few of the 4x5 series Graphics also, and I can't say which is better, they all have similarities and differences as I alluded to some of them. And that's why it might be good to read upon some info. And ask any questions you are wondering about or unsure of. Also maybe add some idea of your intented use for the camera you want asit might makeit easier for those willing to offer advise.

P.S. In the late 1950's, the Pacemaker Crown Graphic, with 135 Optar lens, Grafloc back, and Ektalite viewing screen and GG sold for $200.90, and an additional 32.95 for the optional Kalart side rangefinder. Which is about what a serviceable Graphic sell for now. But note that I suggest seviceable, or useable, not necessarrilly great condition. I wouldn't sell one of my refurbished Graphics Pacemakers for less than $400. And a completely service and refurbishing runs at least half of that. It is somewhat of a crap shoot regarding description, which is subjective. I've sent a few cameras back that were described as being in good condition, and been absolutely surprized by a few gems, but have not yet ever received a Graflex camera that didn't need some kind of service. They are, after all, mostly over fifty years old, and many well used.

• 2 weeks later...

I too recommend that you read the information at Graflex.org first before you do anything. There are a lot of things you need to know before you get the camera. Heck, half the people who buy one can't figure out how to open it, and 3/4 can't get past that! Complicated, but simple at the same time.

When it comes time to buy, I also recommend Keh.com and MPEX. I actually purchased my Pacemaker Speed from Equinox Photographic, who currently have a Crown Graphic (missing two non-critical parts) for sale at $225. I was very pleased with their service. All my camera needed was a CLAC and it was back in the field in working order.