Would you buy a "demo copy" ?

cmulcahy

From my understanding, talking with the guys at the local camera shops here, a demo lense is simply one that is given/sold to a shop for use in displaying the capabilities of the lens. This means that it could be slightly used, or it could have just been sitting on the shelf where people could see/feel it. He did not know if the quality would be any different when compared to the actual retail version.

I would ask the seller some questions about where the lens was obtained before placing my bid, though. At least that way you have some record of where the lens may have travelled.

I bought a factory demo of an Olympus lens from one of the eBay stores (Cameta Camera). Aside from Cameta offering the warranty instead of Olympus and it not coming in a factory box, I'd never have been able to tell that it wasn't brand new. In that case, I got it for 2/3rds the best price I could find for a new lens, and the lens performed exactly as expected, so I was very happy with the purchase.

Yes. I have bought several "demo" lenses, but only doing what has been mentioned above: calling the dealer and finding out what their definition of demo is. Some have actually been refurbs and the dealer did not know that. Some have been on the floor out of box being shown to customers. Some have been returns, sent back to Nikon for check, and resold. Demo is a vague term with a lot of dealers.

But, Cameta has their collective grip together.

What to pay? What lens is it? Check and compare with www.keh.com, adorama, or B&H used prices to see how it compares.

Good luck.

afaik demo's are a bit cheaper than new but not as cheap as used lenses.

So for me personally I would just get used.

But demo from a shop can be good, they should provide a substantial warranty for it. If you are afraid of use stuff and want a mint lens it can be good.

I bought a "demo copy" D50 with the 18-70 Nikkor zoom 2 years ago from Cameta for $629. The AF 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX lens by itself was selling for about $300 new at the time. The camera would have been nearly $600.

It is still my favorite digital camera even though I recently purchased a lightly used D80 with a Sigma 30/1.4 and a SB800. The 30mm Sigma now resides on the D50.

There is a rub. After your 1 year warranty, you'll be paying the Nikon service center to get your lens back should need repair.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

Never again from Cameta.

I bought a 135mm f2 Dc back in June, and when it arrived it was not in fact a "D" version as advertised, and much of the lettering was worn off.

I had a similar experience with another ebay demo purchase from them.

Granted Cameta instantly issued refunds, and these incidents are not their fault-- they get the demo lenses from Nikon pre boxed. Camtea staff has no actual idea what is in the box other than what Nikon tells them-- but, after two strikes, Im done.

Here I have bought 5 lens from Cameta on Ebay, some new, some demo, some new old stock not available at any dealer thru exhaustive search. I got many of my lenses lost/soaked in due to Katrina on Ebay. The 105mm F1.8 AIS Nikkor is a tad stiff; but after usage its ok. Its serial number was later than any on Rolands site. The180mm F2.8 and others were all decent. I think Camtea liquidates Nikons old stock; or maybe returns, or mystery inventory found.

The lens I am talking about is a Nikon 70-300mm VR. It sells new at B&H for $479. I've seen it at other sites from $450-500. The bidding on this demo is now over $400 +$15 for shipping in the US. Why bid that high on a demo when you can get a new one w/ a 5 year warranty for $50 more?

The seller is cametauctions.

There was another Nikon lens I wanted that sells at B&H new for $1200. The winning bid got it for $1175. I can't believe the prices people are paying for demo's and used stuff. Why not just buy new if you are only saving less then $50?

Yes, I notice that there really aren't any bargains on ebay anymore. I used to use it all the

time for my manual focus film gear, but all the AF Nikon gear I want seems to be expensive

and often the shipping is expensive. So, I just shop at B&H. I keep looking for a bargain on

the 10.5mm DX fisheye.

<<I notice that there really aren't any bargains on ebay anymore.>>

you ain't lying. a friend of mine recently browsed ebay looking for camera stuff. many of the sellers had prices above or just below B&H for new stuff, which is still under MSRP so perhaps a better deal than retail chain. but if the difference is $20, you're much better off getting a warranty in case something goes wrong.