what is your favorite hc-110 dilution

buzz

I have been using hc-110 for a little bit now. I have tried dilution B and

H,(1+31, and 1+63 respectively).

With 320 TXP, 6 x 7 neg.

With dil H, a 19 min dev time is longer than I would like and also gives

more grain than I would like.

With dil B I lose a little shadow detail.

I have only seen B & H ever mentioned as dilutions.

Are there any other options? besides going back to d-76 or x-tol.

Might I alter my agitation. With dil H, I use 5 inv every min. With dil. B I

use 5 inv. every 30 sec.

thanks

I like Dil H for the longer development time with Tri-X 400. The results are virtually identical to Dil B. B was fine when I worked for newspapers because it saved precious minutes. But I'm not in a hurry now and longer development times help consistency by making pour times less critical.

Faced with the same problem, I made up my own, 1:45.

35mm trix at 200 speed is 4.5 minutes at 68 for a condenser enlarger. Full speed of 400

would be 1.25x as long.

To figure the time for 320 trix, go to Kodaks site and fine the ratio of their recommended

times for 320 and 400 and apply that ratio to the time you calculated in paragraph #2.

Make sure you use times for the same process, ie both large tank or both small tank.

I figured it once for a friend and he hit the time on the nose the first time.

BTW, 4.5 min works fine. I figure if i can do 3 1/4 for color neg, I can handle 4.5 for low

temp black and white.

When you are done, add 15% for a diffusion enlarger if that is what you use.

I love using HC-110 1:31 with Plus-X, Tri-x 320, 400 and other films. I 'm using a Sidekick film processor that my films are processing at higher temps then most would use. All my times are fast and I never had any problem with my method that I've been using for many years and have tried other developer with it too. If you like HC-110 you'll like D76.

I agree with Ronald, that standard dilutions are not sacred, and the simplicity of using custom dilutions is a real advantage of single solution concentrates like HC110. It does require some calculations, at the very least, and in my own case, some testing to create a dilution chart, much like a time chart. It comes in very handy when using a processor that uses a fixed time, like Rothelle's Sidekick (I believe). The machine maintains constant time, temp and agitation, and contrast is controlled via developer dilution. Once calibrated, such a system is extremely simple and convenient to use.

I use dilution H for my 4X5 Tri-X negatives. My testing indicated normal exposure and normal development to be 9 minutes for Dil H; normal plus development is 12 minutes. I can immagine that 19 minutes would have more grain than you would like. Why are you decreasing your inversion cycle with a more dilute developer? I would keep it the same as dilution B. HC-110 is very linear in its response to dilutions. Double the dilution; double the development time.

Paul

thanks for the responses.

I guess if I looked a little further I would have found what I was looking for, Dil. E, 1+47, dev time 5.5(1.5)=8.25. I developed a roll last night. It looks good, but a print tonight will be the test.

I'm not sure if I'll have to adjust it or not, i use a diffusion enlarger w/dichro color head.

Dilution B- seems to work well for most film I use. Most films are developed in 5 or 6 minutes. Reasonable grain. Holds fog back well in outdated film- I use it to develop my 1983 vintage Super XX with good results. Also great with my 1990 35mm Panatomic-X and 120 Panatomic-X Professional. My 35mm Tri-X and Plus-X are great and my 645 format Delta 100 really looks good.

I use it for everything except for my Rollei Pan 25.