Rollei Hy6 - any new news?

d_s31

I handled a couple of them -- one with a Leaf back and one with a Sinar back, a couple of weeks ago. It's smaller than I expected. here my impressions; the Hy6 Handles well, quick ( but not fast) autofocus, meter mode control dial on the left side reminds me of a Nikon, the adjustable position handle is very nice: good waitlevel viewfinder. Back has to be taken off to rotate from horizintal to vertical orientation. Hopefully they can make a go of it.

HAve you checked with Fotocare or Lens and Repro?

I had a Leaf rep in my studio for a demo of the AFi ... their version of the Hy6. A friend of

mine who shoots Rollei was there also, so he could compare it to his own experiences.

It's a nice camera. A few observations:

Like Ellis, I was surprised at the size being smaller than expected. Camera fit nicely in the

hand and the waist level finder was easier to compose with than with my 503CW ... don't

know why, but it was. An eye level finder will be available soon.

Despite the hype, I found the AF was not faster than the current Hasselblad H cameras.

The build quality/look of the Schneider 80/2.8 reminded both of us more of a plasticky

Mamiya 645 80mm than a Zeiss V or Contax 80. However, my pal has seen one of the

other lenses on-line and said it appeared better made and more substantial looking.

Mirror seems well dampened for a 6X6 ... but in effect no better than a H camera with the

proper mirror delay set. The adjustable grip was a backwards step compared to the older

Rollei according to my pal. It wasn't as convenient to adjust as the older Rollei due to

where the Hy6 grip release was placed.

Currently the back has to be removed to change orientation, however a Rollei type rotating

back adapter is supposedly in the works. A must IMO for a 6X6 camera design when using

a 645 digital back.

I took the demo because I wanted to upgrade my current Leaf Aptus 75s back to a Hy6

camera ... and Leaf was the natural choice for migration to the new camera system. As it

turns out the Aptus backs cannot be used on the Hy6 platform, and no provision for that

is going to happen because "the Hy6 is a totally different animal" according to the head of

Leaf Service USA. What is not known is what financial path for upgrading an Aptus back to

the AFI will be forthcoming. Note that the Aptus is exactly the same digital back in terms

of sensor, IQ, and functionality ... and uses the same software.

Pricing for the Leaf AFi kit was out of this world, and the lenses prices are way up there

also ... and if they succeed in getting Hy6 sales at that price point, it will give other back

makers permission to raise their prices ... mark my words on this.

I did not look at the Sinar version yet, I like their backs (not their software, which is due

for the make-over which is supposed to be here soon), but am sure they will be upgrading

them in the very near future to include a larger, higher resolution LCD and other

improvements ... so I wouldn't go there until that happens.

• 2 months later...

<p>Hi everybody,</br>

not sure if this has been posted already:</p>

<p>A German article (lots of pictures) about mass production of the Rollei Hy6 / Leaf Afi can be found <a href="http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/In-Serie-Leaf-Afi-Sinar-Hy6-Rolleiflex-Hy6">here: </a></p>

<p>A quick summary, they have started to produce about the cameras now. 150 units per month now for Sinar and Leaf, 200+ later on. Currently they produce in two alternating shifts, bought new equipment (CNC) and hired new people.</p>

<p>Only down point of the article is the noted firmware lock for the Sinar and Leaf backs only. But this seems logical as Hasselblad/Imacon

and Mamiya/PhaseOne are doing the same.</p>

<p>Best regards,</br>

Markus

</p>