nice compliment...

johan_de_groote

I just went to the photo shop to have a couple of enlargements made. Rather

surprised when the guy asked if I took them with a Hasselblad. Sadly I'm too

well educated to say "of course". So I had to shatter his illusions and told

him I used a Kiev 60.

I guess they don't see 6x6 negatives often these days.

Are there others that got such funny remarks when showing up with negatives, a

strange piece of gear or other?

The best compliment I get is when the lab wants to print and frame a copy of one of my panos (Kodak Panoram or Widelux) for their shop, to show some of the custom work they can do. Right now they have two of them up, a Boeing B17 at a Father's Day airshow, and a spring scene of lovers and fishermen and kids around a local wooded pond.

With the swing-lens cameras and a TLR in my bag when I play tourist, I tend to attract questions. Many older people recognize the Rolleiflex TLR as something their dad or grandpa used, but the swing-lens cameras seem to really attract a wide variety of other shooters who've never seen such a thing.

With my Linhof Technika, on its Gitzo #3 tripod, with right angle reflex finder, a 240 mm lens, a compendium : <i>"Why do you use and carry such a huge camera ? Look at my phone, it makes beautiful pictures, and I carry it in my pocket. And for x'mas, my son had a digital cam. It makes beautiful pictures too. Even better than my phone."</i><p>

Once I was in a street with my Rolleiflex in its brown leather case, a woman suddenly came and said to me : <i>"You have a beautiful camera"</i>. Nothing else. She moved away.<br>

Tears and smiles. That's life.<br>

Several years ago I had an assignment to take a series of photographs of a particular stretch of road which ran through a quaint Hampshire village.

I had just mounted the Hasselblad on its tripod, when I was approached by one of the locals who wanted to know what I was doing. Without a moment's hesitation I carefully explained that I was a Russian Agent on a special mission.

As I drove back out of the village, having completed the said assignment, some well-meaning soul had affixed a large sign to a telegraph pole at the side of the road which read: "PLAIN CLOTHES COP WITH RADAR GUN AHEAD."

The biggest thing I have, and my set up isn't nearly as fancy, is trying to show them that 6x9 is the same aspect ratio as 35mm so I need 4x6 prints instead of 4x5. They seem to be quite confused by this. They seem to think all MF should be either 5x5 or 4x5. I use a folder so mostly they just look at me funny when I pull it out. I was taking pictures of a church one day when a guy that lives across the street yelled you want me to come stand over there so you can have another antique.

When I am using my Pentax 67, people ask me about my license for carrying a weapon...(because of the weight).

With my smaller Fuji 645zi, people keep confusing it for some kind of Polaroid and asking where the photo comes out...

It seems that nowadays everything big and non-digital rouses suspicion.

Keep shooting.

Holger

I have for many years photographed in a large urban park system near my home. I've used three systems to do this: Bronica GS-1, Leica M, and a K. B. Canham 4x5 field camera. An elderly European gentleman who frequently hikes in the park has come up to me several times when I was using each of the systems and asked. "Linhof?"

Comment of a "friend" when I showed him my Kiev 6C and CZJ 180:<p>

You're sick, aren't you?<p>

When I told the guy's at the photo shop this one of the two silently confessed that he had and used a Kiev 88 and that as far as he knew there was no cure. The best thing to do he said was to get the system complete and try to live with it.<p>

;-)

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, lotsa of funny replies that got from people.

Once, I went out with a group of new met photographers from a local forum.

I brought my Pentax 645N to shoot, and one of them reply: "Hey, are you trying to own us with your medium format?"

I'm just like want to finish that roll of film inside the camera, about 5 more shots to go, I still remember it's Kodak E100G.

• 2 months later...

My 5 years' sister's son loves to get the Zenith 80 just to see trough it's finder, It can make

him settle quietly a whole afternoon, far better than Disney's videos.

More recently, my brother's wife told me that the LCD was quite bright while I had my

Soligor TM's prism off to allow ground glass's moist to dry.

And the Montréal airport cutoms officer stopped me and emptied half my hand luggage to

see that "old heavy stuff", just for curiosity.

He asked me if it it does good pictures, I just answered that if it didn't, I woudln't have

taken such a boulder on my trip.