yakim_peled1

What I'm looking for is a ball head which will be the complete opposite of

mine. .. :-)

Budget does not matter. Max weight will be 3-3.5 Kg. Looking for something of

utmost quality like RRS (BH40?) Kirk, Arca Swiss and alike and which will be as

small and light as possible. I also like it to be easy to operate and last a

long time. QR plate should be an L type which will match 40D without grip

(current body) and 1D Mk III (future body). Compatibility with the 1D (current

body) is not important as I plan to sell it.

Are Markins considered among the best? What about the Acratech V2?

FWIW, the tripod will either be 055MF3 or GT-2530EX 6X. To all which want to

read about my tripod debates, you are welcomed to http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-

a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Nnqi

Also wanted to note that I am not able to try these myself as Israeli stores do

not have these products.

TIA.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Acratech heads are well made but quirky. You either love'm or hate'm. The Acratech Ultimate is perhaps the lightest head with any load-bearing capacity.

Markins heads are knockoffs of the Arca-Swiss heads. The clamp and plates are slightly narrower than Kirk, Arca or RRS versions, hence not compatible. If you mix manufacturers, use only the screw-type clamps, as the lever clamps may not work reliably.

The genuine Arca-Swiss heads have an out-of-round ball, which greatly improves the tension control. The locking knob has a very gradual action. These combine to make the A-S head the easiest and safest to use.

Edward Ingold-

"Acratech heads are well made but quirky. You either love'm or hate'm. The Acratech

Ultimate is perhaps the lightest head with any load-bearing capacity."

Quirky yes. The base must be rotated often in use as roughly 180 degrees are off limits to

tilt at any given time. Markins Q3 is lighter and the Markins M10 is ever so slightly heavier

than the Acratech. They have extraodinary holding power. They are also very smooth to

use in tension mode.

"Markins heads are knockoffs of the Arca-Swiss heads. The clamp and plates are slightly

narrower than Kirk, Arca or RRS versions, hence not compatible."

Technically inaccurate. Markins uses a round ball. Markins plates MAY have fitment issues

with other makers clamps (I don't know), but other maker's plates work fine on a Markins

(I do know).

My personal opinion is that Acratech are just OK, and RRS heads are over-rated and over-

priced. For lightweight and strength I like the Arca Swiss Z1 and Markins Q3 or M10.

I have to rotate the base of my Kirk BH-1 all the time too... similar design to the A-S, RRS, and Markins heads. I do a lot of macro work though, so pointing up isn't as big of a deal as pointing down... I think the Acratech ultimate would work well for me. I guess it all depends on your shooting style.

I believe EVERYONE uses a round ball except Arca-Swiss...

You can tilt off-vertical at least 20 degrees with any center-ball head EXCEPT the Acratech Ultimate. You must rotate the Acratech 180 degrees to go even slightly past vertical - a royal PITA.

The Markins is designed to resemble the Arca B1 right down to the ribbing on the locking ring, EXCEPT it has a round ball. AFIK, only Arca has the oblong ball feature. The Arca Z1 is only $21 more than the Acratech. It weighs 1/2 pound more, if anyone cares.

I have had no problem understanding the Arcatech Ultimate. For me it is a breeze, but then I know geometry and can feel it in my fingers when adjusting. So simple ... so versatile. I do loath the other ballheads, they are so rigidly 2-D that they pain my conception of space ... and limit my speed.

Yet your mileage may vary ... It may all depend on how quickly you can find the tip of your nose upside down in the dark, I assume; how intuitive your personal geometric feel is.

1. Light weight is important to me. The RRS BH-25 Pro is very small, very light and can carry 4 Kg. Why not choose it? While I did say the max weight will be 3-3.5 Kg. (1D Mk III + 70-200/2.8 IS), most of the time I expect to use lighter lenses (e.g. 24-105/4, 100/2.8) and also, a lighter body (40D).

2. The next step is the BH-40 but it is 480 g. and the Z1 is 680g.

3. Can you purchase RRS only from RRS? I can't seem to find them in B&H.

4. If I choose either BH-25 or BH-40, which L plate will fit 40D without grip? I searched but found nothing.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I'm not sure if there is anyone who sells RRS, I ordered directly from them, and I'm glad I

did. Fastest shipment I've ever seen. I haven't seen prices anywhere (including Ebay) that

are less than ordering from them. They recalled my PCL-1 base, they found that there was

a lesser quality bolt inside of it (not all, just certain dates built), they sent me a UPS label

and off it went, back in a few days, had I purchased a used one? My Contax might be

lying in wreck on the ground. For the money, I would gladly deal with them again directly.

Good Luck, and Happy New Year....

One can only buy RRS products directly from them. Google Really Right Stuff.

A 1D MkIII with a 70-200 F2.8 in vertical (portrait) position is way too much for a BH25.

It's not that it won't ultimately hold it, it's that it won't do it gracefully, without creep, and

be slow to setup your shot.

Look, we could go on and on about our experience and the physics of ball heads and their

designs ad infinitum but the ball heads already mentioned are what you should be looking

at IMO. Go ahead and get a BH25 and sell it on ebay in short order. Why should you be

any different than most of the rest of us and do things the easy way ;^) If you were to

actually take some of the advice being dispensed here for your edification, you would miss

out on your own road to discovery.

Happy New Year!

I realize you are not too knowledgeable about tripods, heads and such but the idea of putting

a BH25 on either a 055MF3 or GT-2530EX 6X is comical.

If you're not in any kind of a hurry why don't you take a month or two and read what people

are using and how they are using them, before you buy anything.

Leitz Large table top tripod ballhead. No panoramic base but incredibly strong and smal land lightweight:

You can find them on eBay but here is B and H's listing for a new one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/29953-REG/Leica_14110_Large_Ball_And_Socket.html

it's perfect for backpacking or day tripping I carry one with me all the time.

<p> I slept on it and came up with a brilliant idea: Buy two heads. One of them will be the BH-25 Pro and another one - bigger and heavier. The BH-25 Pro will be mounted on my <a href="http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/slrzoom/">Gorillapod</a> and be used with my lighter set-up like 40D and 10-22/24-105/100. The bigger one will be used on the tripod with my heavier set-up like 1D Mk III and 70-200/2.8 IS. </p>

<p> Now, the connecting part of the two heads will be the L plate for the 40D. I want it to mount on both the BH-25 Pro and on the bigger and heavier one. Which L plate should I buy and which heads fit it? </p>

<p> Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim. </p>

<p> P.S. I contacted RRS but they have not replied. </p>

RRS L plates were expensive but fantastic... it is one of these 'spend x hours searching for cheapest' or 'save x hours and just get what is right'.

The A-S Ultimate can be a royal PITA as Edward explained, but as Frank said, if you have good '3D visualisation and feel' then it can also be really quick and easy to adjust. Depends on how you take your portaits; and whether you are tracking moving objects (U=Bad) or taking more static landscape shots... (U=Good, creative). For me the nice idea of the A-S Ultimate is that the ball head can be disassembled and cleaned especially when in dusty environment. However because it is not sealed, it must also be looked after more to stop the ingression of dirt in the first place.

For your tripod issue... well Gitzo worked out well for me as the $ exchange rate meant I purchased; had shipped; and paid import duty for around 20% less than purchase price in CHF. I also got the A-S Ultimate at the same time... (Adorama is good).

If you are really serious about Gorillapod - then just get the SLR zoom version. No real need for a cheap ballhead on it - as the top 3 balls will act as a mini adjuster... Just get a normal lightweight adapter for the RRS L plate.

Just make sure the Gorillapod is strong enough by testing it with the nice combination of lenses + weights over padded ground. No point damaging your nice new 5D Mk2 with 24-105 F2.8 is there... ;-)

[Yes this is reference to probably deleted fun threads elsewhere - the cameras / lenses probably do not exist as of Jan 02/08].

Yakim, you should go to RRS and download their pdf catalog if you haven't, has bracket numbers for various cameras, etc. It's like 15-20mb but well worth it, gold mine of tripod and head info/advice. It puts the Gitzo lousy BW pdf catalog to shame. I have the pcl-1 base and panorama set up, they're an excellent company to deal with. Happy shopping, Tom

• 1 month later...