High School Basketball how would you shoot this

jonj

I shot the first part of a basketball tournament last night in ofcourse a

poorly lighted gym. Going in this location had to be one of the worst places I

have ever shot regarding lighting. I pulled the shots off fine but I was

shooting using setting I haven't used in years.

I go over what I have in my bag, the settings and wonder if there is any better

way to shoot it.

I have a Nikon D80 with 80-200mm f2.8 on Monopod SB 800 and diffuser. That's it

so just base your suggestions on that set-up. I shot the camera manual at 1/500

f2.8 iso 1600 and set the flash to TTL EV+1. The natural light reading in the

building was around 1/60 @f2.8 iso 1600.

I tried bouncing minus the diffuser off of the roof but still the best results

seemed to fire direct at the players with diffuser. I still got some ghosting

and hate the iso 1600. I attached a sample shot your thoughts on better ways to

shoot in this dark orange gym would help.<div>00NmkF-40583184.jpg.7ec10917ec1917f33dd1215b6cb2785e.jpg</div>

Using fast lens like f1.4 is a safe suggestion as above and even that you'll most likely be at ISO 800 (which is fine.) If you're using SB-800, take it off camera, set it to manual (instead of TTL) at around 1/4-1/8 power for fast recycle, and skip diffuser for more efficient light.

<p>

For example, the first (f1.4), fourth, and fifth shots <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Ni6Y">here</a> were shot with available light. The second and third were shot with off-camera strobes. Although the two approaches yield different results, they both work IMHO.

Wilson,

When you go off camera, do you have the flash mounted up in the stands or across the gym triggered with PW or someother wireless transmitter? In the third pic it looks like the flash is coming from behind the player.

Great shots as always.

Eric, it was pretty much what Robert described above with two lights, one clamped and tethered to bleacher handrail toward corner of gym and another on the opposite side. If the gym you're shooting in has balcony level, setting them up from there and closer to baskets would be even more efficient.

I have had some success using a custom WB w/o flash, and putting an orange gel in the SB800 - not bad results - this was with a D200, ISO 1600 and 85 1.4 - with the flash set to -1 1/3 or -1 2/3, with a diffuser. With the stopped down flash, the effect was just to get a bit of a highlight without noticeable shadows. (I can now use my 70-200 2.8 since I bought a D300).<div>00NnG0-40595584.thumb.jpg.ad5b9e25bcc50a60c78c2d4365c9412d.jpg</div>