filter for Tokina 12-24mm f/4

cmulcahy

I'm going to purchase a Tokina 12-24 and I was wondering what filter I should

purchase for it. It takes 77mm filters. I was thinking a polarizer for

landscape shots but I wasn't sure if that is a good fit for a wide angle lens or

not.

If a circular polarizer would be a good addition to this lens what brand do you

recommend? (I'd like to keep it under $100) I've seen some that cost around

$30 but they get really bad comments from past users.

On a super wide lens, i.e. close to 12mm on the Tokina, a polarizer tends to over-polarize. For example, in any landscape shots with a blue sky, you'll tend to have a heavily darken sky, especially near the top corners.

The only filter I use on my Nikon 12-24mm is a 77mm UV filter for protection. IMO a polarizer is largely unnecessary, unless you happen to have other lenses that can share it with.

if you're planning on using a 12-24 for landscapes, there are situations when a polarizer is handy, i.e. for shots of reflections on water, reducing chances of overexposure from snow, etc. but shun is correct in describing the PL 's uneven effect on skies with a wide-angle lens. in any event, you're better off with slim filters.

I got a thin polarizer for that lens and love it. I use it less often for pure landscapes than I maybe used to on different lenses, in part because it's easy to get uneven skies. However, for controlling reflections and all the other purposes of polarizing, it's nice to have one around.

Chad, it's a good idea to have a cheap filter on this lens when storing and setting up, and

removing when shooting. The front element is pretty vulnerable to bumps and grinds. For the

most part, I've never shot with a filter on this lens and have had good luck with imaging.