"walk around lens"

raffal

I'll add my voice to the chorus. I feel the 18-200 sacrifices just too much for the convenience

it gives. I bought it to replace my 18-70, but still find myself using the 18-70 more often,

although both of them much more rarely now I'm starting to build a small collection of 2.8

glass.

If I was hiking the Himalayas I might take the 18-200 along, but for walking around town

the 70-200 kills it :-)

From the lenses you already have you must be shooting with with a DX-size sensor - D80,

D200, D300, etc. So you should try the 18-70. The 24-85 is good for full-frame (film or D3)

but at 24mm on the wide end (=36mm) it's too long. Unless of course you also get a 12-24,

which I think is not what you're trying to accomplish.

<i>"Does it make sense to purchase the 18-200mmVR"</i>

<p>Yes, your instinct makes sense. It's a great walk-around lens and then some. I use it all the time. But then your other lenses would duplicate the focal length. It may make sense to keep the 70-300 and remove the others.

<p>Good luck,

<br>Mary

I like 70-300VR , but i need the 18mm....so i rather sacrifice 100mm....:( I guess life is a trade off anyways...:)- i decided to trade the 300VR for 200VR so that it can stays on my camera much longer instead of changing lenses all the time...18-55MM is a grat lens but i like longer zoom beyond 55mm in many cases ...thats me. 18-135mm even though would work for me zoom wise, the price is not bad but as far as performance...IMO is not worth it in a long run ....18-70mm even though is a great lens i think i would go personally with 24-85mm (larger a bit zoom again... :) is in opinion of many a bit better than 18-70mm...You know sometimes i think , this is the same thing as far as choice - like with women: some, like brunetes, some blonds , some like reds...- just personal preferance.. :))-- just kidding !!!:) Merry Xmass to everyone and thanks for all your responses,Raf