Questions about which lens to purchase for Portraits & weddings

michael_wilson9

I am a hobbyist at most and have just upgraded from my 5th point in shoot canon.

I purchased the Canon 40D that came with the 28MM-135 IS lens. I am looking

into doing some portrait work with my kids. I have done some neighbors and

friends in the past with the little compact and edited them in PS.

I have about 300-400 bucks for a decent lens. I have read so many reviews that

my head is spinning. I am currently looking at the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm 28-75

f/2.8 f2.8 XR Di LD or the Canon 85mm Ef/1.8. I plan on adding to my lens

collection over the next year or 2. As long as the wife (CPA)lets me.

I would appreciate any thoughts and what type of equipment would be good to

have such as type of lenses (wide angle, macro etc.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Mike

Tamrons are a great budget lens. Not sure why you are looking for a lens with the same focal length as the lens that came with your camera? The lens you have should be fine for portraits. No need for a really fast lens with portraits.

You will need to raise the budget if you are seriously considering wedding photography. Hold on to the $300-$400 and start saving for the Cannon 70-200 f2.8 and a Tamron wide angle.

I think you'd find a shorter prime lens like the 50mm f1.8 more versatile then the 85mm if you go that route but for a beginner, I think you would get more out of zoom lenses.

You're going to need far more than just one additional lens before you start to consider wedding work! Your stated $300 - $400 budget may get you a reasonably fast fixed focal length lens for portraits ($340.00 for the 85mm 1.8) but for wedding work you will need pro quality wide zoom and telephoto zoom in 2.8 versions - minimum $3,000.00. I'm not even going to begin a discussion about your body upgrades (two pro level bodies), plus strobes.

In response to the poster that stated that your current lens is fine for portraits, I have to strongly disagree. If you want professional quality portraits with a short depth of field and a smooth background bokeh, you must have a much faster lens with better optical quality than the throw-away lens that you got with your pro-sumer body/lens bundle for $1,400.00.

I would advise that an 85mm prime would be a great way to start down the path of higher quality portraits, but you're a very large investment in both equipment and experience before you can consider wedding work.

>>> I am looking into doing some portrait work with my kids. <<<

The Canon 85mm would be my choice for this purpose over another zoom, which in effect mimics the zoom range you already have: albeit a couple of stops faster.

With a prime there is more option for creative (better?) portraiture, having the use of Shallow DoF with a much faster, (F1.8) lens. and also the ability of low light HH capture.

Some will recommend a 50mm prime, and for the price the 50F1.8MkII is value. I have a 20D and use both a 50mm and 85mm for portraiture, and if had a choice of only one of the two, would buy the 85mm first, especially if I had a zoom of the range you have.

The 85mm gives a field of view equivalent to about 135mm lens on a 135format camera, and that to me, is just beautiful for tight child portraiture, but obviously, this is both an artistic and personal issue.

The 85 is good for indoor sports too, like Basket Ball, Gymnastics, Wrestling, Boxing, Judo etc, and Swimming, if you are near poolside.

In regard to Wedding Work, (and the downboard thinking of getting a kit together) there are many items necessary before you buy the 85mmF1.8: the first being another body; a fast wider prime around 28mm; and perhaps a faster, normal range zoom: and in regard to the last point, a 28 to 75 mm zoom is NOT wide enough, IMO.

A better range would be 17 to 55 ish, but still at a constant F2.8 aperture: eg the Canon EF-S 17 to 55 F2.8 IS; which is a popular lens for many AP-S Wedding professionals.

So, whether prioritizing your Wedding Kit, or satisfying the portrait work: the Tamron 28 to 75 is NOT a lens I suggest for either.

WW

The lenses you have picked out are two excellent lenses with great value and performance. WW has experienced advice especially about the second body. Purchasing a higher model is just a plain waste of money. Your 40D is an ideal camera for many reasons. It's not as heavy as a Mk III (carry a Mk III or two with glass for 8+ hours) It's cleaner than a Mk II, and 10 MP is more than enough resolution (probably too much as it chews through memory). The average consumer say 90% of the clients you book wouldn't be able to tell the difference nor would they care. People who believe that a bigger better camera will make their photos better are more than likely slaves to the camera and victims of advertising hype.

portraits and weddings are two different things.

if you REALLY want to do weddings, you need to up your budget significantly.

here's why: it seems clear to me that you are lacking a wide angle lens - something equivalent to a 35mm or 28mm in old skool 35mm format - basically, I mean a 17mm or 22mm.

I say sell the 28-135mm for a few hundred bucks, and pick up the canon 17-85 or another third party lens that goes down to 17mm or so.

if you can afford it, the canon 17-55 IS 2.8 in combination with the 85mm 1.8 will probably leave you happy for a while. you will, however, eventually want the 70-200 2.8 IS.

you need a wide angle lens if you want to do weddings seriously. even as a casual 'uncle bob' shooter who is just having fun, if you are seen as someone who 'knows what they are doing' a wide is a must.

if you disagree, let me play this scenario out:

group: hey, photographer, take a picture of us eight people who all went to school together with the bride!

photographer: I can't! my lens is not wide enough to accommodate 8 people! I can only do four at a time!

group: <to bride> you photographer is terrible! let's hire conrad erb instead!

see? you need a wide angle.

sorry to give you bad news. I just don't think you are going to be happy trying to do event work without a wide angle. it will be difficult to do weddings as a hobbyist without a wide, and impossible if you are trying to do weddings seriously or as a semi-pro.

that said, for portraits, you need one of three lenses, depending on your preferences. anywhere from 50mm for many people to 135mm for one person. if you don't believe me, I use my 85mm 1.2 L all the time at 2.0 for portraits of a bunch of (I stand way back) and it looks absolutely gorgeous. sample attached.<div>00Nme9-40581584.JPG.d0753456543901a8851216caf2ac1872.JPG</div>

You are asking about a portrait lens with the possibility of weddings. I think given your budget the 85mm 1.8 is an excellent place to start you will be able to use it with the family, and it will be perfect for engagement/bridal portraits.

If I was you my second lens would be 70-200 f2.8 then a second camera body and two speedlights and a fast wide angle (this is all down the road ofcourse).

Good luck take is slow stick with it and take photo.net with a grain of salt.

Jonathan

If you are only doing some shooting at weddings as a guest, you can use a lens like the 17-40 f4L. For about $800 it's a beautifully sharp and very light lens. Then I'd add a 50 1.4 or 1.8, and then an 85 1.8 . That will give you a kit for any serious hobby work.

The only reason for a backup is if you are getting paid to shoot - not just weddings, but anything. If you get paid you must deliver regardless of equipment issues or lack of the proper gear. Some people want to start in the business but they take way too many chances by getting either lower performing gear or not enough.

Lou

>>> I never said that I was going to be getting paid for my wedding work. Is everyone an expert here? I am more of a hobbyist on the learning path. That is why I posed the question <<< (mw)

The question having been posted in this forum, it would be assumed by most (especially working professionals) that one was looking to begin charging money for the Wedding Work mentioned.

None the less, my comment regarding the zoom lens mentioned being less suitable, still stands, no matter if the pursuit is professional or amateur: but as an amateur one would not necessarily invest in a second body.

Regarding: `Is everyone an expert here? `, IMO, no.

But there are many opinions and the quality of them is not necessarily dependant upon the owner being an expert, or not.

But that I think one needs to evaluate both the degree of expertise and the quality of the opinion, for oneself.

WW

Welcome michael!

You are only limited by your vision. Any lens can be a great portrait lens.

As for a must have lens, within your budget, and meeting a wide variety of uses... for the money I would go no further than the Canon 85mm f/1.8 with a lens hood. As stated above, its great for about every aspect of sports, weddings, and portraits. Handles low light and enables you to get tight portraits without distorting features. The wide aperture allow for throwing out of focus the background.

Wide angles, stndard zooms, and telephoto zooms are only to be bought after much consideration and only after a variety of experience.experience.

Also, forget about weddings unless you plan to invest a minimum of about $10,000. Gear choice for one might not be ideal for others. Included in that figure is money budgeted for sample albums, insurance, computer and software upgrades, etc.... you shouldn't even consider doing them for free IMHO at this stage, but that is another thread.

As to whether or not my opinion is expert, it comes from a feeelance newspaper background in which I won numerous awards. It comes from shooting dozens of weddings. It comes from throwing away more money than I dare remember.

My advice. Keep everything to a minimum. Buy the best quality you can afford and have backups.

Master the gear you have. It's more than enough to gain the needed experience.

Seek out weekly published newspapers and shoot freelance sports. Gain valuable flash and posing skills at community and political events. Volunteer for needy charities.

Never, never, ever put your reputation on the line by shooting a wedding for free or the experience. Gain it elsewhere.

"Also, forget about weddings unless you plan to invest a minimum of about $10,000" Robbie your killing me. I use two D80's($1,000)each one 80-200($1,000) one 85mm($400) two SB 800s($350)each one 18mm($400) add another $700 for memory/monopods/tripods/cases/filters/batteries etc. Even if you add a few more high end lenses and a small lighting kit you would still be way under you $10,000 mark.

I know it's off topic, and I'm not trying to discourage anyone. But just my not so humble advice is just me trying to draw a fuzzy picture of reality for others.

Don't get me wrong it's fun as hell, but at least initially it's unrealistic in terms of financial gain and the hours spent away from family buried behind the monitor.

So in addition to what Ken mentioned there are other small and large hidden costs...

Liability insurance at about $700 annually.

Sample albums... Art Leather at the low end $500 for a few to $1000 per album for the premium companies.

Another cost is about $1000 annually for a work related cell phone/telephone.

Website (at Big Folio for example) range fron $250 setup fee to $750, and then $30 per month.

Accountant fees, rate cards, enlargements, framing...

My estimate is a minimum $5000 for bosides, lens, gear.

$2000+ computer, software etc...

$3000 for other essentials mentioned above...

Then there is the hundreds of hours spent second shooting, doing freebies, and the associated time spent behind the computer, marketing, etcc...

Stick to portraits... everybody with a DSLR thinks they can do weddings. The bottom is saturated with free and $500 shooters hoping to become the next Ascough.

Spend the time second shooting, experimenting with lighting on and off the camera. Understand the basics and know why white balancing at the initial capture is so important.

I use a Toshiba satellite $649.00 Adobe Lightroom $199.00 my insurance and website plus all of my equipment is a write off. I also write off meals gas.

Not to mention the freelance work I get adds to the pot. I do marathons, marching bands, basketball games, parades, and spot news for the local papers.

Get a good accountant and you will be able to write off those items.

Ken back up storage? $3,000 ! I buy 50 Sony CDRs for $19.00 and I have just switched to DVDs which lowers my cost even more. I was using 10 CDs per client now I'm down to 3 DVDs. prior to my Toshiba Satellite I used a Toshiba Tecra for 3 years $1,200.