D100 Vs D40X

phil_senk

I am looking into a digital SLR, I have a friend that is selling a Nikon D100.

Am I better off buying a new D40X or save a few $$ and get the D100. I know

the D100 was a more expensive camera when new however the newer technology

even though cheaper may be better. Please give me an honest opinion.

A guy at my office has the D100 and loves it, has loved it since new and has never even looked at another camera since.

SO if the price is right then the D100 is worth playing with, however the new technology is better and there have been lots of comparisons between the D100 and the D50 saying to go with the D50.

So I would go new if price was not the concern, but if the price of the D100 is at a bargain.......

It all depends on the price. If my D100 hadn't developed electrical issues I wouldn't have bought the D300. Not because the D100 is as good as a D300, but because it worked fine for most of my needs. So if you can get a really good deal on the D100 it might be worth it. If the price is the same I would go with a newer camera for sure. I wouldn't spend more than $200 on a D100 these days.

All these posts and no one asks what are you shooting? which is the most important question. If your doing family and landscapes and average shooting the D40 will be a little more updated out of the camera. It is very small and compact also. If you are doing kids sports the D100 has dynamic focus tracking which the D70 and d40 do not have. If you are in more exstreme enviornments the D100 is built stronger. So the D100 is a better tool, the White balance out of the d40 is a little more updated.

In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing the D100 will produce photographs equal to anything the D40 can do and it Can use older lenses the D40 can't handle. It's better built, too. The fact that the D100 is "old technology" means absolutely nothing unless the D40 can do something that you need to do that the D100 can't do. My computer has a 1.8 gigahertz processor and Win XP PRO. It's almost four years old but a brand new double whammy processor, 10 gigs of memory and the newest Windows version won't do what I need done any better than what I've already got.

Phil, when I tested the D100 the month it came out, I was not impressed with the image quality. My Cooplix 990 looked better to me. I'm more concerned with image quality than with the "feel" of a camera. Even a used D70s would be better than the D100 in my opinion.

Poor image quality with the D100? That is a new one. I needed to dig out my old D100 last summer when I had to send my D2h in for a repair (that I caused) I shot 2 weddings with it and although it took a bit more time in PhotoShop than the D2h does, I ended up with great quality images. The D100 isn't very sharp out of the camera and is slow if you are using RAW. Sharpen it in PhotoShop and count to 10 between RAW exposures and you'll be fine.

For me, your decision could be the D100 if the price is under 500.00

>>>I tested the D100 the month it came out, I was not impressed with the image quality. My Cooplix 990 looked better to me.

are you sure we are talking about the same d100? to me, this is like saying a yugo drives better than a porsche.

phil - i can't tell you which you should buy, but d100 did everything for me, except it backfocus often enough when used with autofocus.

The d100 was and still is a fine camera. The newer cameras seem to produce more saturated images straight from the camera and that may be better for you. I can't honestly say that images I got from my d70 were so much better than the images I shot with my fathers d100 but I can't really say that my D1h produces images any worse either. I find most of the differences very subtle between digital slr cameras once they have been post processed at the default settings the cameras can vary a bit more but once I have post processed the files it is hard to tell the difference.

Phil,

I recentely went through the same issue as you are.

D100 vs D40x / D80 etc.

I have been looking at the D100's for about a year and a half now, watching as the prices have been getting lower and lower.

Just lately however I started looking seriously at the D40's and 80's instead.

After a lot of thought I decided to go with a great deal on a brand new (old stock) D100 and new MB-D100 on ebay for $400. In other auctions I picked up like new Nikon 70-300G zoom for $99 and a 18-55 AF-S zoom + 28-80G zoom for $105. So for about $600 I got the camera, battery grip and 3 lenses. Everything came with original boxes, paper work and accessories. I dont think you can buy a dual lens D40x kit for less than this let alone a D80.

I love the D100! My last "good" camera was a complete F4 package that I sold about 8-10 years ago when I got married. The D100 seems to work and feel a lot like I remember the F4 working. It just feels right in my hand and a lot of the controls seem familiar.

The D40 just dosent feel right in my hand when I pick it up. It does have a lot of nice features however and is newer technology than the D100. I liked the large view screen and it's ease of operation. I dont like the AF-S lens issue. I don't think I have found a single bad review of this camera anywhere. Everybody seems to love it that has bought it.

The D100 has a lot of pro features that the D40 dosent like exposure bracketing, continuous focusing, diopter adjustment, the ability to shoot in raw mode, the ability to mount just about any Nikon lens, the optional battery pack (plus a lot more I'm not mentioning).

I still like the D40 and may even buy a used body for my wife to use (she likes the smaller / easier to use camera) but for me the D100 just seemed like a lot more "bang for the buck"

After using it a bit now I have no regrets at all and am very happy with my purchase. I'm going to pick up a SB-80DX flash soon (around $140)

At the end of the day, I dont think that you can go wrong with either choice. Get the one that feels "right" for you and go out and use it.

I hope that this helps you make your decision.

Gary