Korona 7X17 Panoramic View Camera Holders?

jdleffler

I have what I thought were six film holders for my Korona 7X17. Someone has

written me and informed me that they are not film holders at all but rather

glass plate holders. I have two of each type of holder (Please see picture for

examples of all three types). Can anyone assist me? Are glass plate holders

more or less desirable/rare than film holders and if so why? I've heard that

the holders can be converted between the two types. Is this correct? I've looked

around the internet and now I know a lot more about Wet Plate Photography but

have seen no examples of Korona film holders or glass plate holders to compare.

The holders have no residual chemical residue at all so I'm not sure.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.<div>00Nefn-40371684.jpg.53f63e0a8eeed516b3ee1028a269624e.jpg</div>

Yes it's possible to convert as I know people here in Europe who did it with not 7x17 but with 18x24 cm ,but I don't know how they did it. I'm pretty sure that there is some one here who might have done it or have an idea how to do it. Yes that you got there are made to glass it's no doupt about it.

I can help you if you do want a new ones manufactured for you and here is the address it's in Europe http://www.argentumcamera.com/ but there is S&S in the US with a very good reputation. I have seen used ones time to time on Ebay too. The holder manufactured by Argentum are a really something else and I beleive they are cheap cheap.

To answer your question which you wrote

"Are glass plate holders more or less desirable/rare than film holders and if so why?"

The reason for that is not many glass plates available in that size and there is not many wet plate photographers either. But as the digital killing the film manufacturers slowly one by one it might be very desirable soon, and of course no one forbidden you to not to begin with wet plates either. :-) Could be a nice adventure. :-)

The spring in the center of the holder is the giveaway for a plate holder. I do not if these are wet or dry palte holders from your pictures. If they hold one plate on each side then they would most likely be dry plate. Dry plate holders in other formats had film sheath that were made of metal. A sheet of film fit into the sheath and then the sheath loaded into the holder.

Yes it's correct the spring in the middle has two functions its pressing the plate to those little brass holders and holding it in position after loading the plate and its pushing out the plate ones its had been opened up.

There (see the pick) are two holders illustrate that they even had a frame inside for different format. The one is the full plate 18x24cm and another one 5x7 and there is frame for 4x5 too.

I even have one 5x7 plate in it but I think this one probably not working any longer. :-)

Film sheaths are not that hard to make. You just need some thin aluminum or galvanized steel, and the ability to make long straight cuts and bends.

The short ends are bent down, with a rim that makes the ends 2mm thick, which is about how thick glass plates were. The long sides are bent up and in (about 140 degrees), to make small flanges that hold the film. You should size them to match your film.

A tin knocker (HVAC duct maker) might be able to make some for you using his workshop.

Paint them black, of course.

You can find vintage Kodak film sheaths, but not for as unusual size as 7x17. But it takes patience.

However, before you invest in film sheaths for these holders, you really need to verify that they are still light tight. Be especially wary of the light seals where the dark slide slides in. I had to repair some of my Rochester Optical 4x5 plate holders to make that part work right, and it basically requires breaking and repairing the glued joints at those corners.

You can also test them using one plate of glass cut to 7x17 (cheap picture frames come with 2mm thick glass), and stick a sheet of film on with some jam. Yeah, jam. Pre-washing before development will be in order...