I need these pictures to SCREAM!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harsh, yes....hateful, no. I perfer the term tough love. Would you retain a doctor or lawyer who was your equivalent of a pro? I think not. If you are going to pass yourself off as a pro and charge fees, then you must perform as one. You must learn baby learn to earn baby earn.

I like Corri's also, but I would get rid of all the background. As it is, it's too harsh between the white and the dark background. Crop and delete all the background, or even find another shot you could use as a background - something wild and pyschodelic would fit the mood.

You don't need photoshop to do this, Elements will do it as will some even cheaper alternatives. How did you do the processing on the other photos in your gallery?

Kimberley,

A little about criticism...as others have pointed out, it will help only if it is honest. Do you really want us to tell you "wow that's awesome!" when it clearly isn't? You said you are your own worst critic...I will take exception to that only because as a beginner (your work tells me you are) you don't know what to be critical about yet, so you can't be your own worst critic, YET. If you have thin skin and want to hang yourself simply because you got some valuable criticism, I suggest you don't come to PNet; there's plenty of folks on My Space who won't mind badly composed, OOF images at all and they will tell you all is wonderful. BUT if you want to grow, more than you ever have, and hear from GREAT photogs who also make great livings doing this, then stick around and really listen to them. After all, they could be charging for their valuable experience, but you can gain it and more for free if you will just not take it personally and instead heed their words to become better than you are now. PNet is a place for those who want honest criticism, not ego stroking. :o)

Thank heavens, Linda. The world needs more adults,like you, to set boundaries on what is and what is not so, and tell it as you see it with care but without narcotic painkillers. It may be tough love,but remember the word love is a strong part of it. And it often is as tough to dispense as it is to receive,perhaps tougher if you know what I mean.

Of course, some "legally" adults have a hard time with criticism and critique of their choices.

What they want is something else, all wrapped in a fuzzy Polartec blanket. I just had a conversation with a 21 year old who I am a kin to, who wanted to be heard,to talk to someone by celphone, but not to listen for any feedback. Feedback has to be on her frequency only...

Next Question for Mom Linda Guerra: At what age do young people listen actively and absorb the valuable information they ask for and take it without going bonkers? Do they need a warm hug and a kiss first to believe one cares?

I really would like to figure it out,but I fear it may be a generational thing that only some psych major can answer.

This goes way beyond the forum,but it is one of the pressing questions of how our generations try to communicate the values and knowledge of the past to the ingenues of the future. If we can't figure it out a little better,-Linda,Fred, Matt,et al= what kind of society are we heading towards?

gs (tribal elder aka grandpa gerry)

I think the angle the dark-haired girl is reclining at looks a little awkward. It works much better as a cropped in shot, I think, but don't know if there's enough pixels in it to be high enough quality for whatever they want to use them for.<div>00NcsN-40328284.thumb.jpg.1ab6e530c85af46700f06fcdc3e7c8a6.jpg</div>

Corri is on the right track, but not the direction I would go. I like one of the black and whites as well.

You can find cheap or free software to make basic adjustments. That is the best vitamins for photos.

The first thing I do with shots from on board flash is to change the white balance to something warmer. Play with the brightness or exposure. Maybe use a vignette or filter. the mats and frame, in other words, "presentation" can have a large influence on how an image screams. Get good prints and go to a frame shop with them.

Hi Gerry! Unfortunately we have become a society of hand-holding, only make me feel good, everybody gets a trophy, crybabies! I am a I am only 33, so I would offer it has more to do with common sense than generation (there are many of my peers who feel as I do). I have nine children (six homegrown and three storebought!)and I am hopefully teaching them that life brings you what you put in. But I don't think Kimberley really understood what she got into here!

We've come off topic and I shall steer it back...

Kimberley, if you're still reading this take a look at what you yourself posted on your own profile. You said you believe"you either have an eye for photography or you don't"...does that mean as long as its not pointed at you? Come now, let's be fair.

Hi Kimberly,

some one mention the strobist.com already, another link also is fine I think . have a look here: http://www.studiolighting.net/

You see how much people respond and so far I can all took their time to help you, yes and sometimes help means also to drop the nose to the hurting edge.

I learned here a lot, and try to give back to the one who likes to have hints.

Stay here if you like to learn, you see you got a loot people giving hints on your work.

- I'm personally on the side to say: It's only important that I like my stuff, I'm doing it for me, I don't need to sell and so I can ride that wave - but that's what every one out can decide for himself - that's what I like, I can press the shutterbutton or not, depending just on my judgment - where do we have that possibility?

Regards Axel

Last comment Linda, promise....Maybe our new social view says, or thinks, sure, I made some dumb choices, my planning is lousy, I don't have time for learning and the library is too far away. My employer just doesn't understand me,BUT not to worry I can FIX all of this mess later in Photoshop or my Virtual Space or maybe get somebody to Clean It Up. I get really bummed out with that approach. Common sense,where at,and "natural consequences" per Emre comment) where have they gone?.. Pardon my despair at this moment in time, I will recover my groove very soon.gs

Kimberley, I also think that it's preferable to get the best material out of the camera, but there is still usually some post processing required - images out of the Canon tend to be a little soft anyway, so usually benefit from a bit of a sharpen. Yeah, the focus isn't perfect, but it's not a dead image either. A white balance correction - take the whites of the eyes as being white - and the colours need livening up - simple adjustments to levels and curves on the histogram in Canon DPP (IT'S FREE FREE FREE - and well worth learning.

I like your photos - I like the colour choice for the shoot (reminds me of The White Stripes) - and I understand you are not experienced and I think you've done ok, and good on you for giving it a go and for wanting to improve. I'm an improver too and enjoying learning - and you're doing the right thing too by asking questions.

This is what I've just in 30 seconds using Canon DPP....

And below is a screen capture showing the adjustments I made to the histogram and to sharpness - nothing to it.

The kindest possible thing another person can do for you if your photos are poor is Say "hey those photos are poor". That is not an act of cruelty. If you are fortunate enough that people take time out of there lives to point out the shortcomings of your efforts and make suggestions for improvement then you are very lucky indeed. To then turn around and suggest these same people are spoiling your day is well beyond counter-productive. Kimberly you solicit advice on this site on a regular basis and a lot of talented people help you through the trials you as a beginner are bound to encounter. You owe them a big debt of gratitude. If they offered you nothing but platitude then you would have something to complain about. At some point everyone has to grow up, maybe today is your day.

Pete, great work,now just paste a little touch livelier smile on the lip edges of remix 2, soften the hard shadow, recolor the pillow blue or any neutral shade, layer in a string of pearls instead of the scarf and we are getting progress. Say, does that make this digital art or digital arty from Kimmie? Mele Kelikimaka,gs

Kimberley,

I have Photoshop Elements version 1.something, and it can do pretty much anything I'd want to do with a pic. Granted I'm not very sophisticated, but I think you'd find it very useful. Here's a link to a version that it much newer than mine, but still a fraction of what Photoshop would cost. It is nearly Christmas you know.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Elements-OLDER-VERSION/dp/B000HLV59W

Bill.