Focus magazine subscription

dbltap4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I'm a trusting person, or so I thought. I am a subscriber (with all the problems this has given me) and In a momentary lapse of reasoning I purchased 3 back issues (Via PayPal) of Focus mag, on 27th January. On 20th February I emailed them asking them when they will send them. No response. On 6th March I again emailed asking when they will send them. No response. If Spivak is the only person working on this magazine then he should get more staff to deal with these sorts of queries. If he does have staff then does he employ people who don't know how to reply to emails or does he train them in keeping quiet. Doesn't he realize that for customer service it would be better to have emails answered rather than people resorting to a forum where the whole world can see what an absolute...............oh I can't write what I want to say. So, Spivak if you don't have the back issues that I ordered then send me my money back!</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Two weeks ago I posted a note here about you not replying to my emails regarding back issues that I have paid for and my oh my still no response. But then what do we expect from this person? Well now I have waited long enough and will contact the American Consulate and/or Trade commission here in Australia to see if they can get a response.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>

<p>I can not understand one.

<p>Why it is so much not happy people and not who does not take measures?

<p>Here all is clear, that David s. Spivak the swindler is.

<p>

<p>That as it arrives, shows on one - he deceives people and all sense of it magazine, it is swindle

<p>It should be punished and it is necessary to transfer a material in police.

<p> </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

<p>I don't think we can call Spivak a scoundral. He has put out some very fine issues in the past. My guess is he has been hit by the economy. I would think that many of the galleries that placed ads in his magazine in the past, have had to restrict their budgets, in turn causing Spivak to curtail his operations somewhat. I am certainly not at all knowledgeable in this field, but I don't think subscriptions alone can sustain a publication.<br>

I am not defending the guy, just trying to keep this a civilized thread. It would certainly be heartening to those of us who have sent him our hard-earned dollars if he would jump back in here and let us know that he is still around, and trying to improve his operation in the slow-time.<br>

Jim</p>

<p>You want it, Jim, you've got it. I was just alerted to the continued existence of this thread yesterday. So, I hope I'm not overlooking anyone, but...<br>

Dwight and Michael have received E-Mails within the past 24 hours. They both know what the E-Mails were about and that I've tried taking care of their issues months ago. Mary, you subscribed too late to receive Issue #18. Your subscription begins with #19. Tracey, you were shipped your magazines months ago.<br>

Now, speaking of Issue #19. The editorial is completely laid out. If anyone would like a PDF of the editorial ONLY of Issue #19, please E-Mail me david@focusmag.info. This will contain absolutely no advertisements.<br>

We are in negotiations with several companies right now for advertising and in negotiations with a new printer that would change the size of FOCUS Magazine to 9.25 x 12 inches starting with Issue #19 and would increase the print quality to 10 micron dots which is the equivalent of 900-1000 linescreen. I've compared several reproductions from my last issue printed with the printer we've used since Issue #13 and compared them to how they would have been printed had we used this new printer. The results were astounding and believe me, if you thought the reproductions in the last issue, wait til you see what we have in store for you.<br>

Once again, as I have mentioned for years, I do almost everything for FOCUS. I do the layout/design, I do the ad sales, I do the accounting, I run the business, I do the advertising/marketing... and I even find time to somehow have a somewhat normal social life. I have done this for over 5 years and 18 Issues. I have asked you all to subscribe to a magazine that, when you actually see the product is inferior to no other fine art photography publication on newsstands today.<br>

The only magazines that has comparable printing quality to FOCUS are Aperture and Blindspot. Aperture Magazine is funded by a nearly 60-year old foundation that includes a full book publishing company, art gallery and non-profit organization. Blindspot is almost double our subscription cost and has almost no readable editorial content whatsoever. Pretty to look at, but $45 for a 96 page magazine full of pictures delivered 3x a year. And from what I understand, the owners are multi-multi-millioniares and have been losing money on the magazine since day 1.<br>

Sure, we could be a B&W/Color and sacrifice the quality of the magazine in exchange for a printing bill 50% or 75% less than what we face. Sure, it would be acceptable and probably many of you read B&W/COLOR and enjoy Henry's publications. For me, it just doesn't make sense to put out a mediocre quality magazine when the photographers who spend hours, days, weeks, sometimes even MONTHS perfecting ONE photograph that's printed by a printer that only cares about how to maximize profit by getting the magazine on and off the press as quickly as humanly possible. When we were printed before by the same printer that B&W/COLO uses @133 linescreen, we received NUMEROUS complaints and very unhappy advertisers about the quality of the reproduction.<br>

Unfortunately, there is no in between. You cannot just have a printer print 60,000 copies for $25,000 @ 300-400 linescreen or stochastic dot screen. It just doesn't exist in America today. Maybe it exists in China or Hong Kong, but do we really need to be sending more business overseas instead of America?<br>

Now, many of you ask why don't we just get a loan? Getting a loan puts us into debt, which is not something I want to be in. And forbid we can't make a loan payment or somehow default on that loan, then the bank liquidates our assets and dissolves the company. This is how JPG Magazine folded. So then what about an investor? For an investor to put the kind of money that would take us to 6-8x per year, they would want control of the company and decision making authority. They would reduce our costs by finding another printer that doesn't cost so damn much and then the quality and the heart of Focus Magazine would be gone.<br>

The correct course of action has been and always will be to continue printing the magazine when we get the correct amount of money from advertisers. Believe me, I'm not holding out the printing of Issue #19 so I can by a new yacht and if I wanted to swindle people, asking for a $35 subscription really wouldn't get me that far. Everyone who has subscribed BEFORE August 2009 has received at least ONE issue to their subscription. Everyone who has subscribed AFTER August 2009, has not received the first issue of their subscription, yet and will receive it when Issue #19 is mailed to our subscribers.<br>

I'd love to be able to sit here and guarantee a specific date -- believe me, there is no one who would LOVE to see the next issue in my hands than me. I work, maybe 12-15 hours a day on this magazine and have only recently started taking Friday nights and Saturdays in observance of Shabbos off. The good news is that I am young and working a 60 hour week doesn't impact me the way it would if I were double my age. With the amount of time and effort I put into the magazine, I am bound to miss E-Mails/Phone calls. There are some days where I am too "focused" and I cannot take any calls or respond to E-Mails. I apologize for that, but hiring a subscription agency to be in charge of things like this would cause me to raise the prices of subscriptions substantially.<br>

I may not respond to your phone calls or e-mails when you want me to, but rest assured, if you paid for a subscription, you will get your magazines and your subscription will not expire until you have received the full amount of magazines for your subscription. I am here, working on this magazine all the time. I just took my first vacation in January and I don't plan on doing that ever again, so don't worry... I'm not going anywhere with your money other than trying to get the next issue, that you paid for, out.<br>

Now, I'm sure there are going to be some of you who, after reading about how hard I work to create the finest publication, are still not going to be happy. I'm sorry, but I am not in the business of instant gratification. We are not an assembly line magazine. I will not sacrifice quality for timeliness. You've paid for the best magazine money can buy and you're going to get it. All I ask of you is your patience.</p>

<p>David, as a fellow business owner, here are a few suggestions going forward:<br>

1) don't promise something you cannot deliver. 4 issues per year is obviously never going to happen, and I have received 2 (I think) in more than 2 years of being a subscriber.<br>

2) promise people something like 4 issues without regards to delivery dates.<br>

3) compromise on quality some. This is a periodical, not a fine art book. You will lose business otherwise.<br>

4) Be nice. When upset customers contact you and they either have horrendous dealings with you or don't hear from you at all, this is not good customer service. My father always told me to 'kill people with kindness' when I was upset or thought that people did not have a case for being upset. Treating customers fairly and with generosity is the only thing to do in any business venture.</p>

<p>All great ideas, Andy, except for the fact that there is no "some" when it comes to compromising quality. There is either web or sheetfed, nothing in between. Going back to web wouldn't be a slight compromise on quality, it would be a huge compromise on quality. The entire idea of FOCUS is to be the fine art book meets periodical. Our numbers on newsstands and subscriptions and advertising prior to the crash and with our last issue prove that quality is what an overwhelming majority of people are after. Maybe you're not, but most readers are.</p>

<p>If you are promising 4 issues per annum, I suspect 100% of your readers and advertisers would be ok with the current printing quality. 1 issues per 15 or 18 months is pretty horrible at the last issues print quality, and now you are putting more effort, time and money into yet another digital press direction.<br>

I would update your current subscription text to read that you will receive 4 issues in 4 to 6 years, which is the current batting average.</p>

<p>Actually, Andy, I'm saving money by going to this printer. The quality we've had since Issue #13 was fantastic. The biggest reason we are switching printers is to help us with the organization of our bulk list which sends thousands of copies to galleries, auction houses, art fairs, etc.</p>

<p>Ah, saving money. That's always a good thing, especially if you are using the saved money to hire somebody to help you actually deliver what you have promised your customers: 4 issues per year. You should probably put that new employee in charge of customer service. :-)</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>To accuse Davida I think that prematurely. Really there is a weight of problems, especially last years connected with crisis. Also it is possible to give due, that focus it was not closed, and continues to exist. I am confident that all will settle into shape also problems such will not arise more.<br>

And as I think, it focus magazine it is necessary to prepare accurate strategy of development and to give attention for publishing house advancement for side-altars of America more. That focus it would be possible to see in bookshops of Europe and presence on world art fairs. It needs to be developed and carried out.<br>

So it is necessary Davida to understand and enter into its positions. It is assured, that all will be good further.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>

<p>I thought, that this Spivak has really got to a difficult situation and tries to solve in every way a problem with an exit issue 19 and to pay off under the obligations. But now I have really understood, that this person, simply swindler and all that it does it only tells to people of a fairy tale and is not going to carry out of the obligations. <br>

Personally at me, this swindler took $5.000 and promised to let out in December, 2009 the publication. But July, 2010 and not what positive reactions from its party.</p>

<p>How it is possible to name it?</p>

<p>I observe of its actions, and they look as primitive swindle.<br>

I hope, that all those people of whom this swindler has deceived, will simply not sit and wait when this mongrel that that there will let out. And will draw corresponding conclusions and will put a maximum of efforts, that this swindler any more would not have possibilities to deceive people.</p>

</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Michael Dingley - Australia<br>

As there hasn't been any responses posted since July you all might be thinking that everything must be OK at last? Well it isn't. I am still waiting for back issues that I paid for back in January this year and it is now September. I can understand that to produce issues from scratch can take longer than we are led to believe but back issues have already been printed! Come on now you would think that from payment to receipt should not take any longer than 2 weeks to get to me in Australia as all it takes is to get the 3 back issues that I have paid for, put them in an envelope put my address on it and send it. Maybe by posting this for the world to see might stimulate someone into sending me now what I have paid for.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Remember me Spivak? Michael Dingley in Australia. I'm the person who purchased back issues of your magazine way back in January of this year 10 months ago. Still haven't received them yet. Yet back on August 10th you sent me an email "This is embarrassing. I'm going to head over to a FedEx today and get the back issues out to you the fastest way possible. I'm sorry about this - my head is on a million projects today". Well where are they. Is Spivak really your name? I looked up your name in my dictionary and guess what Spiv(a person who makes a living by underhand dealings or swindling)ak. Well that just about sums you up. Now before you start shouting and threatening me with a lawsuit or something have a little think about whether you have a conscience and that after 10 months of not supplying goods after they have been paid for you would agree with me that any judge would certainly see right through your scheme especially when I would show the judge all the past forum letters and my emails to you detailing your underhand dealings. 10 months is certainly enough time to supply the goods otherwise people would start thinking that you are committing fraud. Oh and another thing should you decide to call in your lawyers remember that it would be just simpler and cheaper to send me the back issues that I have paid for or send me my money back, I won't even charge you interest. It is a pity that I don't live in the U.S. as I would have started proceedings against you long before this.<br /></p>

<p>Been a while since I've been here. Haven't really had the time or patience to be on here. Wanted to update everyone on the status of what's going on:<br /><br />First and foremost, if you believe you are owed a back issue that you've bought through our website, please let me know immediately. FedEx recently made a very big mistake and I have a few hundred dollars worth of credit - so I can ship anything out asap for anyone this week. Michael Dingley, I just got back from the post office and your 3 copies are on their way as we speak.<br /><br />I recently hired a college intern to help get me organized and she's done a wonderful job. If you're on Facebook and you see Jennifer Lasont on there, send her a quick thank you!<br /><br />If you're concerned about your subscription - don't be! Everyone is caught up with their subscription. If you feel you're not, e-mail Jennifer at subscriptions@focusmag.info and she'll help you out as best as she can.<br /><br />The last issue we printed, #18, was a stunning success on newsstands with a sell through rate over 70%! Because of this Borders and Barnes & Noble have ordered more magazines with a potential promise of doubling their order within a year if we come out more consistently.<br /><br />Issue #19 is almost complete - I'm just trying to fill up the remaining spaces left in the issue so we can send it to print. I recently signed a contract with Dual Graphics, out of Brea, CA to handle all of Focus Magazine's printing and single copy fulfillment for Issue #19 and beyond - this includes handling of all subscriptions. So, I'm very excited about this, because our printing reproduction is yet again going to improve. Our 2011 Collector's Edition is the most important issue of Focus Magazine yet. Here's why: Published in this special 240-page edition of Focus Magazine is one of the largest and most important interviews ever conducted with Lillian Bassman that spans 15 pages, an in-depth interview with Howard Greenberg of the Howard Greenberg Gallery who gives his detailed analysis of the current state of the market for collecting photography that spans 11 pages, a fantastic interview with Mitch Dobrowner that hilights his storm photography that spans 9 pages, an interview with Alec Soth that spans 6 pages and an intriguing discussion with Brooklyn Art Museum curator Patrick Ansellem that spans 5 pages.<br>

Dual Graphics will introduce a new printing process to Focus via stochastic dot screen printing. What this means is that our previous issues printed at 300 line screen are a thing of the past and our new printing process of between 10 and 20 micron dots means we're comparable to between 800 and 900 line screen!<br>

In addition, we're working hard on increasing the functionality on our website. Starting in a few weeks, people will be able to order copies of the magazine without leaving the website or worrying about how good or bad PayPal or Google Checkout is - we're completely integrating everything so you never have to leave. And, for all back issue purchases, our shopping cart that's being custom designed for Focus, will automatically calculate postage & handling and will generate a shipping label for me, saving me a gigantic amount of time and stress. All I have to do is print the label out, post it on a shipping envelope and off it goes.<br>

We're hoping that Issue #19 will be out in time for the holidays. Right now, it's getting very close and we're not 100% finished - but I assure everyone that I'm working 12-16-18 hour days to get this next issue out and into your mailbox. And remember: Subscriptions are not time-based, they are issue-based. Meaning that if it takes us 2 years to fulfill a 1-year subscription, in which we guarantee 4 issues for, then we will make sure we fulfill all 4 issues of that subscription before you are due up for renewal.<br>

I'm hoping next year that with the improvement of the economy, we can come out with 4 issues. I am already working behind the scenes on something very, VERY big for Issue #20.</p>

<p>I just picked up on something: The subscriptions are now based on # of issues, and not on a yearly basis. Apparently the only way of communicating this was in a very oblique online photo forum. Don't you think a formal communication with customers and advertisers should be in order? Sheesh.<br>

Don't spend your wheels on incremental improvement in printing technologies, but rather on content content content and getting issues out on a more timely basis.</p>

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

<p>Hey, Dave. Say it aint so! Several years have gone by since I started this thread, and here you come, hands outstretched, saying send me some money, and i'll send you issue 21. i'm sorry, but i must vent. we subscribers have been jacked around for years with promises and excuses, and you have the nerve to ask for money for a non-existant issue,(it appears) that MAY be sent if you get enough money..Sorry, pal. If it hits the newstand, i'll peruse it, and buy it, if it warrents 30 bucks. i am sure it will be a quality piece, if it materializes, but for that kind of bread, i want to see it first. Then, maybe.<br>

Jim M.</p>