Photo.net Net Nanny on the job

In my recent post I made a small typographical error and my post kept getting

rejected with the comments "remove the sailor mouth and try again". I finally

realized what was meant and tried through many re-reads of the post to find

what was bugging the Censor. I saw I had omitted the letter "o" from the

word "accounted".

Our moral fibre is in good hands and we shall remain free frrom lassitude and

uncontrolled descent for a long time to come.

This reminds me of an incident years ago where an office assistants was

sending out invitations for a golf tourement at the "Tall Pines" club. She

realized only after she had mailed out several hundred that she had

interchanged the "e" and the "i" in Pines! We all survived with a few good

chuckles.

Cheers

It isn't so much that swear words are a problem. It's that 99% of the time, the context that they are used is not part of a conversation that is useful on photo.net.

If someone was quoting a famous photographer saying something like "I had beaten my camera all to @#$%, but I got the cover shot I needed." That would be a fine use of a swear word.

However, after 9 years here, I can tell you that pretty much all anyone ever says is some version of "You are a dunb@#$% and you can go @#$% yourself." That's the sort of thing people can keep in private communication. We're a photography site, not a place to try out crude insults.

For those that wonder, it's not unsual for public web forums and message boards to limit the use of long strings of punctuation marks and other characters because people start doing silly things like trying to draw ASCII art, etc. It doesn't help communicate a concept any better to use 40 exclamation points, but it does lower the bar on the level of discourse, I think. There are plenty of blogs and MySpace-ish type places where a hundred exclamation points follow a series of witless remarks or a shout-fest about something, and it just comes across as rather juvenile. Folks here have to remember that one of this site's greatest virtues is the (by general internet standards) the compartively polished level of conversation, and relatively low level of low-brow filler and nonsense. Why does this even matter?

That it's NOT a polluted mess, that way (thank you mods!) is one of the reasons that this site's information comes up so early and so often in Google searches on almost every related topic. That makes this bit of real estate more valuable and more long-term useful, and makes defending the quality and tone of the postings here a worthy - if frequently thankless, I expect - effort.

I'd like to think that new visitors here would notice the more thoughtful overall tone and avoid the junior-high-school-style punctuation graphics in favor of just saying what they mean to say to get their thoughts across. No, I'm not being a pretentious snot or a pedant... I just find photo.net to be a major refuge from the rest of the noise out there, and it seems helpful to the wider culture to make a little effort to keep it that way. So, if the server-side software has to spank us for trying to use the typo-ed word "aper-a-ture" (it's caught me twice!), or save us from an inadvertant but particularly salty vulgarity, that's fine.

One last thought on that, by the way: a LOT of people use this site from their work places. If the pages start to get heavily laced with obscenities, that can cause come proxies or other workplace filters to block the site. A lot of users would be upset if they had to beg their corporate IT guys to whitelist photo.net, so that's another good argument for keeping it a little cleaner. That same issue applies to public web access points (say, free WiFi at your local Panera or something ... they'll block sites that don't appear "family friendly"). All fine-art nudes aside, the "c" word that caused this thread in the first place is definitely on the short list for a lot of site filtering systems.

One thing you'll find here, Kimberley, is that much of the content on this site isn't just messages back and forth between people, but actual q & a that can get fairly involved on the topic that's been brought up. That's one of the things that makes it importantly different from a lot of more strictly casual/chat/social sites, and it's one of the reasons that the search engines like it so much. And, back to my point, it's one of the reasons that the mods and the system try pretty hard to groom the content. Content is king, and it's what both attracts and maintains the better-than-average community here. Don't confuse my observations about cause and effect with some sort of prudishness - I'm just pointing out why this stuff matters in this context. Oh, and 15 sentences isn't THAT long! Really. I think this stuff matters, or I wouldn't bother, believe me!

" I just find photo.net to be a major refuge from the rest of the noise out there, and it seems helpful to the wider culture to make a little effort to keep it that way."

Exactly,Matt. Adult is the word I think is the objective. If the program to strain obscenities isn't perfect, so what. More reason to re-read what one writes before transmitting to the record. It is the courtesy of adult discourse. (Exception might be in describing certain on line merchants, as Philip Greenspun once did in quite colorful lingo..(think vaseline)..I won't repeat that text here :-))