Browser to browser differences in site response

iancoxleigh

Hi,

I usually don't have nearly the amount of technical trouble accessing and using

the site as others do. But, today was/is awful.

I had written a lengthy comment on a photo and tried to post the comment some 2

dozen times each time it would either time-out (with message) or diplay a white

page of nothing. I then tried to upload a photo to my portfolio and failed at

that as well.

So, I tried posting using Explorer 7 (my normal browser is Firefox -- newest

update 2.0.0.11) WOW! What a difference. Both the comment posting and photo

upload happened seemlessly and the whole site is opening quicker and more

fluidly.

I just thought your technical team should know there is this sort of difference

between browsers. I hate IE and will still use Firefox. But, surely there

shouldn't be this difference.

I use Internet Explorer 7 generally, and also incur the same problems intermittently. Then they go away. I presume it has to do with user traffic and sometimes the presence of the google spider or bot snooping around among our millions of photos, gathering info on all of us; same with other search engines, I suppose.

Before one can make a generalization or specific statement about the worth of a browser in relation to Photo.net, one would have to have a greater sample and also then return to PN after successfully using Internet Explorer, and resume using Firefox to see if the problems were still there, since to my experience, the outage problems seem to be intermittent.

It thus would be easy to make a truthful observation about conditions with one browser or another but come to a wrong conclusion based on a wrong reading of conditions, unless that browser always brought about bad viewing conditions and the other didn't.

Anecdotes make for bad evidence, I think, and need to be tested methodically.

John (Crosley)

I had problems with the latest Firefox updates. The 2.0.0.10 update (which only "survived" for a couple of days) was so buggy that many eBay links would not work properly, sites would hang or not load at all, images would not load, etc. Lots of complaints on the Firefox support forums, and none of the troubleshooting solutions offered worked for me. For the first time ever, I had to revert back to the previous version (2.0.0.9).

I decided to hold off on the 2.0.0.11 update until it has been in use for a couple of weeks, as some people are reporting issues with that release as well.

John, I agree I was perhaps premature. But, I did have both browsers open at the same time trying to do the same sorts of tasks and firefox would consistently 'hang' while everything ran VERY promptly with IE. I observed this over a period of some 3-4 hours (kept taking breaks from other work) and the results were consistent.

Michael is probably correct that this might be firefox issue and not a PhotoNet issue.