Fed 5b film type and film speed

I use a Fed 5C. The 5B has no light meter. The film type indicator on the advance dial is as you thought, just a reminder. The film speed indicator on the rewind end is not in ASA or DIN. It is in Gost, which is the Soviet equivalent of the ASA system. Gost 250 is their version of ASA 200, Gost 130 is their version of ASA 100, etc... You can use whatever film speed your heart desires. You can use a hand held meter, or learn "sunny 16." The film speed indicators change the exposure values on the Fed 5C's light meter. On the 5B, they are just reminders. Good luck. By the way, the film rewind release is the collar around the base of the shutter release button. Push it down until it clicks into place, and then rewind your film. Good luck. Have fun. If you have the Industar 61LD lens, you will get some real sharp pics. You may have to get used to the ergonomics a bit.

GOST (Russian: ГОСТ) is a pre-1987 linear standard used in the former Eastern Bloc. It was almost, but not quite identical to the ASA standard. After 1987 the GOST scale was aligned to the ISO scale. GOST markings are only found on pre-1987 photographic equipment (film, cameras, lightmeters, etc.) of Eastern Bloc manufacture.<div>00NZg0-40244384.jpg.0789c4674b546ab1bc6146ba3c6f8ba9.jpg</div>

Sorry, I've had this around for a long time and have lost the source, but I believe it was from an older listing on Wikipedia. I meant to include this info above, but got ahead of myself. I am merely the bee, not the flower on either end.

Well, I hope the Fed-5 works for you :) It was my first FSU rangefinder purchase, and after trying to use it for a while, I really, really, *really* hate its ergonomics, so I've put it down semi-permanently (actually, I harvested its take-up spool for use on another camera) - it's on the heavy side, and I find awkward to hold, in addition to the traditionally dim viewfinder/rangefinder.

On the plus side, if you got the Industar 61 L/D lens with it, you're in luck - it's tack sharp, very contrasty. I've now got a couple of other LTM cameras from the FSU that suit me better (FED-2 and Zorki-4K), so the 61 L/D is still usable for me.

But, yes, to chime in with the chorus, it's entirely manual, the dials are just for reminders, and you'll have to translate GOST-to-ISO speeds on the fly.

yeah, you have to check the rangefinder (very easy to adjust yourself if it is off) and check the registration distance between the mount to film plane (those seem more reliable in the 5's, but is harder to adjust since you have to cut paper shims). Second the praise for the 61 L/D... quadruple the negative opinion on the Fed 5B ergonomics and general design and joy in usage... though I thought it worked fine... and if I didn't have access to any other camera I would still enjoy photography with one. My problem is that the camera is bigger, heavier and has a slower lens than any of my SLRs (and the fast Jupiter 50's aren't very good IMO)... so there wasn't much incentive to use mine. My Fed with colapsable Fed 50mm lens fits in my pocket and is a darling Leica knock-off. My other Feds and Zorkis have more charm... so the 5B sits on my shelf. I did find that modifying the case to have a removable upper made the camera more usable (since it doesn't have strap lugs)... if you have the tool more making snaps it is an easy mod.

Google/search for "sunny 16 rule" and/or invest in a hand-held light meter.

<p>

Incidentally, lomography.com charges a premium for these things (their objective is to make specific cheaper cameras hip and trendy and create an artifically high market for them) - vs. <a href="http://www.fedka.com/catalog">Fedka</a> (known good FSU camera seller) they're about $25 higher.

<p>

In future (and you might not have known about it beforehand), if you're interested in these things, a good resource is to read and/or ask questions here first before buying.