SD memory card corrupted - in Sanyo Xacti - help

I'm having an issue with a 2GB SD card - it's a generic "My Memory" one and

it's had no problems up until now. I took it out of my daughter's camera this

morning to copy half a dozen pictures off it, inserted it into my card reader,

copies the picture, put it back in the camera...and then the problems began.

The camera "told me" that the card data was corrupted. I tried to format it in

the camera but the camera wouldn't allow me to do so. So I took it out of the

camera and tried to format it in the card reader using my PC. When I tried to

access the card, "My Computer" just hung and it wouldn't have a bean of it.

Any idea how I can format the card to start from scratch? There's nothing

important on it so I'm not after data ecovery. I just want the card to work

again!

Many thanks in advance.

Pete

The card could have been damaged in some unseen way, is it still under warranty? If possible I'd say return it for a replacement, there are recovery programs but if the sd card is damaged then a recovery program would do no good.

Thats as far as my thinking takes me, if it won't format in the camera and won't open on the PC then theres really no other way to access it. Though sd cards are plug and play I usually use the safely remove device option on the pc before removing the card, if you just pull it out I find that tends to corrupt data, also when taking it out the camera I suggest turning it off.

hope that helps

-Ray

Thanks Ray. I think you're right - it seems broken! I must admit, I just plug and play, and this has perhaps taught me the error of my ways. I was in a tight old rush this morning and just pulled the card out of the reader and didn't really check to see if it had finished doing what it was doing! I'm going to email the supplier anyway and see what they say - I've bought quite a few cards from them now - they may do a cheap exchange....

Try another computer. I had a problem like this once when I put a card into my sons Mac. I pulled it out without running the unload program and couldn't read it in the camera again. I guess the Mac put a file on the card and it freaked the camera out. The Mac wouldn't read it either for some reason. My laptop did and I deleted the file. Worked fine after that. I don't know what happened but that's how we fixed it. Worth a try. Good luck.

I don't think that plug and playing once would do anything to it, I've done it myself a few times with my USB flashes and it doesn't to much but if it was reading or writing data and you unplugged in the middle then that could probably hurt it, then again I have no idea what could be doing it. I'd try another computer like Mike said. If still doesn't work I'd get a new one or exchange it. goodluck

Ray, Donnie, Mike....many thanks all for the suggestions. I've just checked the lock tab - def not locked. I've just tried the card on a different computer - same result. It's knackered me thinks, so I'm now waiting to hear from the supplier as to whether they just say "oh well" or hopefully replace. I hope they replace....but won't hold my breath.

Thanks again.