sonnar 1:1,5 f=12,5cm

Hi,

The Sonnar name belongs to Zeiss Ikon. The 1,5 implies the very fast Sonnar used for the Contax. If it is a long lens (125mm) for a 35mm Contax then it's unbelievably fast... I don't know

what a typical portrait lens in Medium Format would be, but also incredibly fast. Perhaps a Rollei or Hasselblad portrait lens or a Prakti-Six, or Kiev 66 etc. I only know the 35mm Zeiss stuff!

I guess either a pre-war Contax or a post-war Zeiss from Oberkochen. ...No markings to the effect of Zeiss or Carl Zeiss or Car Zeiss Jena? This is a pre-70's forum, but does it appear 30 or more years old?

Confirm the units or guess the mass.

A Sonnar 12.5CM/1.5 lens would be an extremely fast lens for a medium format camera. It would weigh about 6lbs. Exotic item.

A Sonnar 12.5MM/1.5 lens would be a very fast lens for a 8mm movie camera. It would weigh about 6ozs. Fairly ordinary.

I chatted about this lens with Charlie Barringer (if you don't know who he is, use Google), who may drop by here and comment. He told me that he has one and that it had been made for an aerial camera.

In the '30s the name Sonnar belonged to Carl Zeiss Jena, a lens manufacturer owned by the Carl Zeiss Foundation. The foundation also owned Zeiss Ikon, a combine of camera manufacturers. To CZJ, ZI was just another customer.

The serial number is from 1941.

Jochen, I doubt a 12.5 cm lens that fast will cover 4x5. The Schneider equivalent, a 12.5/2 Xenon from Schneider Goettingen was used on a 6x6 aerial camera, the Volk Handkammer.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

just to tell you that I have such a lens with a Leica mount, possibly used for aerial purpose and in combination with a Leica 250 motor??? would be great....

the lens number is 2792376 and according to Thiele's list, a total of 311 lenses were made. The list also says that most lenses were made for FHK which means Fliegerhandkamera (aerial hand camera)

best wishes

Stefan