what type lens do i use for a concert?

mandy_spanos

I am taking my daughter to the Hannah Montana concert this weekend. We have a

Canon EOS Rebel XT and I need to know what kind of lens I would need to get

some decent pictures. We aren't very close to the stage so I know I would need

a decent zoom, and it being a concert we need one to take in that type of

lighting. We dont have much money to spend on this so please help me know what

type to use...thank you.

I rather doubt that the lens you need for this will be allowed in the building. Most concert venues have a strict no "professional" camera policy and they will lump all DSRL's into that category.

I would take a small point and shoot and capture the excitement of your daughter. A year, two years, ten years from now, which will be a better image to you: some unknown people on stage or your daughter enjoying the concert?

Hi Mandy, You'd benefit by the longest and fastest (widest aperture) lens you can afford. Unfortunately most of the long - and fast - zoom lenses aren't inexpensive. Many recommend the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens, which on the Rebel XT with its "crop factor" works out to about a 135mm lens on a film or full-frame camera. It's pretty darn fast at f/1.8, very sharp, great autofocus and an excellent portrait lens for when the concert is over. However, it's not a zoom lens. It sells new for about $330. Good luck!

Even many small venues don't allow cameras for concerts or shows- especially if they have a deal with a local photographer to photograph the event. I have a great deal of sympathy with this - the sound of the shutter and mirror can be very audible in a quiet concert venue. I aat through a show where the "approved" event photographer was using a medium format system with a motor drive. Sounded like a guillotine falling all through the event.

I think you may actually be able to take a camera into that concert. I read that since Disney/HP are sponsoring they have been allowing it. But, of course, call to be sure. Whether that includes SLRs is tough to say. Certainly you will not get away with the pro (white/gray) "L" style lenses no matter what the rule is. Also, sounds like you won't be close, so the 85mm won't cut it - I've tried. I suggest renting if you have time (if you act today through one of the many online rental services - probably $75.00 including shipping by the time you are done) the Canon 70-300 IS which is maybe not fast enough for a dark arena but it's less likely to be deemed a pro lens and it will get you close enough probably to get some decent shots. Otherwise, the idea of getting pictures of your daughter with the point and shoot (or the XT with the kit lens) and the stage in the background might be the way to go.

Let us know what happens.

I don't know what your venue allows and suggest a check in advance. Smuggling might be a option for some people but hiding a camera seems difficult enough to ask if that 's necessary...

The problem with your camera is: Even at highest ISO stage lighting might be critical for handholding something like a 135mm f2.8 wide open. The 80-200 f2.8 IS lens would be among the best choices but also on the pricey end, So maybe you should go for a 50mm f1.7 as a reasonable multi purpose lens. It might get you shots of the entire stage from a distance.

My own official concert kit consists from 14, 24, 50 and 135mm + 2 bodies. I use my slower zooms only during broad daylight and have been to concerts where I felt lost without faster than f2.8 glass and stabilization and took deep breaths to handhold even a wide open 35mm f2.0 on a film body.

Hannah Montana seems loud enough to not seriously worry about a SLR's noise. - There are events I would only shoot with my more silent rangefinders.

Actually, the Canon 200mm f/2.8 is probably better (it's a much faster lens) to rent for your circumstances than the 70-300 IS I previously mentioned. Provided you have a steady hand. Cost should be around the same. Keep in mind that, while the arena might be dark most of the night, for some songs (particularly the encores, they may turn on the house lights, in which case alot of zoom lenses (and alot of point and shoot zooms) will be fine.

I had no idea what a Hannah Montana was. I looked the show up and now I am struggling to erase the memory. I may need therapy.....

Unfortunately I agree that the shutter sound is unlikely to be able to drown out the "music" ;)

I am sure that your daughter will have a blast. The good news is that shows like this typically have brighter stage lights though they often change quickly. I would not hesitate to use the highest ISO. Forget about using flash.

I would go with the 200/2.8, which is relatively small and black but fast and long. The 135/2 is also a possibility but might not be long enough.

For me it depends how far away you are and how big the venue is.

The following shot is from miles away at a Killers gig. I knew that whatever kit I took I could buy a better close up print whilst there. My take on it is to try to get some of the atmosphere of the gig... (excuse the lack of any processing...) This was on a compact (Panasonic LX1 at 13mm (not sure what that works out to be!))

Sorry, I didn't just use that post to post that picture. What I was going to say was.

Enjoy the gig, and go prepared for more that the "Star on Stage" shots. There are probably going to be as many or more interesting shots whilst not looking at the stage and you could get many of those OK with a standard zoom or prime. You say you don't have a lot of money to spend, so don't bother. Take what you have, and shoot with that. If you want an A0 size wall shot of Hannah Montanna, buy a poster.