Portrait basic technique

matias_orchard

Hello there,

I've just gotten my 430EX, and would like to know what should be the first

non-full-auto technique to use it in portrait photography.

I'm interested in outside portraits, and it should be used to fill-in lighting,

but even then, I would like to know what I should do with my 30D to start

getting the most out of my 430EX.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

MO

If you would really like to take your portraiture to the next level with artificial lights, I recommend you take a look at strobist.blogspot.com. using flashes on the camera's optical axis can have an unappealing effect on the subject which can be remedied by take the flash off-camera to create some shadow modelling. give it a try. It takes a little bit more gear and technical know-how but i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

For a great enhancement to flash lit portraits, I strongly recommend Joe Demb's Flip-it!

You can bounce and fill without harshness and heavy shadows.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/

Direct flash, even fill, rarely offers a flattering light.

Diffused/reflected flash is all the rage. Be aware your flash reach will be reduced using a reflector.

I discovered reflected flash after trying the pull-out card reflector built into my 580 EX.

The Flip-it will be the best thing you ever bought for $30.00. It will make your flash sing!

Gary Fong's Light Sphere is an over-priced piece of Tupperware! (sorry Gary!) All kidding aside, the light sphere may be a good product too, I have not tried it.

To answer your question, I think many wedding photographers who use flash, shoot in aperture priority mode. That could be a start for you.

Avoid the green idiot mode, and avoid the P mode as they often just set the camera for 1/60 and F4 when flash is present, and the ambient light in might not expose correctly. Can you tell I'm no fill flash expert?

Search photo.net or some search engine (other than Google, we don't want to give them a monopoly) for Fill Flash Tips ! Good luck.

First investigation: Place in Av mode which will default to the use of fill-in flash. Set the speedlite to E-TTL. The camera is now reading (reflected) ambient and the flash is to be used for fill. Select a suitable distance from your subject and take a photo, chances are you will have the 'rabbit in the headlights' look or maybe overexposed. Now, on the 30D body you have the capability to do flash exposure compensation (small button on the top right hand side). Try dialing this down, 1 stop and 2 stops and see what effect you get. Note the Aperture and Shutter speed settings you have and switch to Manual ('M') mode - re-enter these settings. Now try varying the shutter speed and taking photos - try varying the Flash exposure settings on your camera body again - and learn how to do it also on the Speedlite body. Read the 30D manual, read the Speedlite manual, read 'Lighting 101' at strobist, take lots of photos - record what you do. Consider getting an OSCS2 cable to take your speedlite off-camera. <br><br>

Learn about Stofens and diffusers (I have the tupperware thing but the knock-offs on ebay look exactly the same and probably do the same, minus the DVD that comes with it.). Learn about Guide Numbers and why the flash manufacturers lie whan they quote it (it's almost always a lower figure.)

Try stuff.