5D with 50 f1.8 under exposure issue

sattler123

Quote: "Why...would you put a hundred dollar lens on a 5D? And then wonder about quality"

Actually, I really like this lens - except for the f1.8 issue. The lens is sharp and very useful for low-light situations and portrait work. All my other lenses are L-glass, but this little gem out-performs them in those situations where I need/want the extra stop. Not everything has to cost 100s or 1000s of dollars to be useful.

Rob: I'll quote your own bio in answer to the troll snap; "The main thing is what you express. The medium is only of secondary importance." -Piet Stockmans

Juergen: I'd love to see your portrait 'prints' made at 1.8 with the 50mm. My point..if you missed it...is why spend thousands on a body only to put lower qaulity glass on it. Whilst you may not see a difference in the quality of an image at a resolution of 72 on the web ..a print will show you something completly different. An extra stop is as simple as increasing iso on the 5D.

Arguing about the quality of a lens rather than coming to terms with it's limits? The camera and lens are simply tools we learn to use to capture an image.

"why spend thousands on a body only to put lower qaulity glass on it"

Anthony,

It seems like this is an article of faith with you, whereas others view it as an empirical issue. But I know better than to argue with a fundamentalist...

One of these days when I hit the lottery, I'll build a site where folks can compare and rate images without knowing which image goes with which lens. I'm betting they can't generally guess better than random selection on many of the old, tired IQ debates.

Until then, guess we'll just have to go on fussing and feuding -- at least its an almost interesting way to pass an otherwise dull reality TV night :-)