Pricing Problem

emeryfoto

Hi, everyone:

I encountered a problem yesterday and need some advice - I just started using an online proofing site

(collages - also experimenting with Simple Photo) and received my first reprint order through them

yesterday.

I explain on my price list that I offer color machine prints (my lab does gorgeous color prints on a

machine that color corrects, etc) and custom black & white prints. I don't offer black & white machine

prints as I don't like the quality (except 4x6 as a courtesy).

Of course, the way the site is set up, the client can bypass my detailed price list altogether, so this note

doesn't really help me at all.

Anyway, there's nothing to keep the customer from choosing the wrong price - my client yesterday chose

to get a 5x7 print of a black & white photo, but she chose the color price (which is considerably less - I

would lose money if I printed the black & white at that price). I have it set up so it's fairly clear - "5x7

color - $XX", and "5x7 black & white - $XX" but that didn't help.

What do you suggest? I don't want to offer one price for each size, as I'd be way overcharging for my color

prints, and way undercharging for my black & whites. They are really gorgeous quality and worth every

penny!

The only other thing I could think of is to send the client a link to two sites - one of their black & white

pix, and one of their color?

Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

Katie

Sounds like you need a more flexible shopping cart solution. You should be able to specify, with more detail, how you want to sell each flavor of your images. If you must, I suppose you could post separate versions, C/BW, of each image, and have two pricing scales... but it seems like, over time, the amount of work and annoyance you'd be facing (not to mention clumsy shopping for your visitors) would totally eclipse the extra up-front cost and work in setting up a more flexible system in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...