Yashica Mat-124G

dmhorne

I think TLR Yashicas were made since 1957 to 1970 At the bigining lenses were called Yashikor three elements (for cheap A, B, C and models) later Luxamor, and the latest ones Yashinon like your Mat 124G. Yashica Mat 124G exceeded de 5 million number serial. Some late models D had Yashinon lens.

I`ll imagine yours must be from the 60s. IMO.

I know some of our gurus are going to correct me:-)

Hi,

Unless someone has production info... it will be hard to date as they made this model for circa 20 years. I think as long as it is a 124G then consider post 1972. Perhaps the gold print logo marks the later versions or all the "G" designated models. Although the "G"

is supposed to designate the electrical meter contacts. How fast is the taking lens? I think the later models feature a 2.8 lens...Perhaps

optionally available earlier. I think I read product ended in the late 80s. All in all an excellent TLR value.

I have a Yashica D (Yashikor lens) and a Yashica-Mat 124 (non-G)Yashinon lens. I often have lens flair with the Mat-124.

The Yashica D has delivered many a nice sharp negative but has been a nightmare after getting wet ... long sad story. Perhaps I'll pay Mark Hana to restore it!! Sentimental value

As for dating a camera.. often later examples poorly handled will appear older from abuse and older examples well cared for as newer. Ok, I'm "in the know", but whenever I take out a TLR...the folks begin.. man how old is that thing. Although a mid 50s rangefinder

or Exacta SLR gets barely a peep! 35 vs 120