39mm filters!

byron_fry1

Hey guys, I need to find some filters for my 35 cron and its proving difficult

to get any the right size. I need them for bw work and of high quality. What do

you recommend I do, I am thinking of special ordering a 39mm-49mm step up ring

because there are a lot of 49mm filters out there, but I am worried about the

lens hood not fitting?

Any help would rock, thanks!

Strangely enough, I stumbled on a working solution for myself. I had an old Kodak Series VI slip-on adapter ring of 41mm diameter. I pressed it on the front of the lens, and now I am able to use Series VI filters, which are pretty much available. I don't know if the 35 has the same front diameter, but if you know of a source of these adapters, you might be able to find one that fits. I hope to pick up some at Puyallup this winter.

Lawrence Christopher

If you're going to shoot with Leica glass, it only makes sense to use the best filters you can get. <P>Beware series filters -- most of them are gelatin glued between two layers of glass, not solid vat dyed glass like modern filters, and many are distorted or faded. (My own choice is B&W hard multi-coated from B&H.)

The best filters are B+W, Heliopan and Hoya. If you want use an original lens hood (as IROOA or 12583) the best solution are the 39 mm filters. If you want use the 49 mm filter with 39/49 adapter ring, the best lens hood is the Hama Snap in 49 mm size. This is a rectangular lens hood that fit over the external mount of the filter, is absolutely vignetting free and protrude very little in the viewfinder. The Hama Snap have a proper cap and work from 24 mm to 210 mm lenses. I own this particular lens hood in 49 mm and 52 mm size and work very fine.

Ciao.