rashed

I always used one of these 2 filters mainly as protection for my lenses, never

bout a lens and used it for even one shot before it been flitered with one of

these.

The question is, these filters are they suitable to use on Digital cameras ?,

or is there a side effect on the digital camera performace ? because of these

filters ?.

Is there another type of such filters to be used on digital camera ?, and if

there is how would we classify them ? and where from to get them ?

I am sorry for my poor English here , I hope my question been rised in proper

order.

I wish you all of the best

I don't believe there is a difference between digital and film cameras regarding the use of

these filters. The most common comment is that you should use a high-qualiity filter,

because it doesn't make sense to put a cheap piece of glass in front of expensive elements of

a lens.

Rule of thumb with protective filters.....

No filter is better than any filter except in the case of inclement conditions (blowing sand, salt spray, rain, snow or caustic air environments) or wet doggy noses or sticky fingered children.

If you're going use or need a protective filter, only use the best as they do, empirically, make a difference in all areas; build, glass quality and anti-reflection coatings.

HOYA S-HMC or Pro line for starters. Better still are the B+W MRC line. Expensive? Yes. Money well spent? Yes. Here's the best priced, legitimate source for filters.

http://hvstar.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=36

I use B&H because I don't do PayPal but many others have used them and they're reputable.

Under some conditions to you can get reflections off a filter. For protection just use a Multicoated UV.

I only use them for one lens now, a 50mm Summarit that is 50 years old that has very soft coatings. Modern coatings are quite hard and you will not damage a lens with cleaning if you do it properly.

I use care, lens caps, lens shade, and a hand blower unless I work in the rain or near the ocean.

There are clear protection filters that you can buy. They are more expensive than skylight and UV filters, but they are designed to have no effect on what passes through the lens, unlike both skylight and UV filters. I use them because I work in situations with bodily fluids flying and I try to keep them off the lens itself.

I'd rather damgage a high quality B+W MRC uv filter than the front element of a $1000.00 or greater value lens. And sooner or later lens or filters in front of lenses get dirty, AND i'd rather be cleaning the filter than the front element. I don't believe and have seen no evidence that a high quality B+W MRC UV filter has degraded images. Nor do I believe the Clear filters referred to by Jeff degrade images. In fact, many of the clear filters, specifically Hoya, advertise that their clear filters reduce flare and unwanted reflections in the lens. See "features" in the B+H advertisement for the Hoya Clear Pro 1 Digital filters. I don't actually believe the advertsiement, but I'm sure they are high grade and don't degrade the image. Other factors are much more likely to degrade an image than a high quality filter.

A filter can't reduce the flare of a lens but it can make it worse.

I don't really see the point of a "clear" filter over a "UV" filter. You don't want the UV (if there is any) and a UV filter has a negligible effect on visible light (see http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/filters.html). In fact some "UV" filters don't even block UV!

The Hoya Pro series filters are probably among the best. If you are going to use a filter on a good lens, it makes sense to get something like the Hoyas, with a really good multicoating.

Thank you all for this genrous input to my question, I will take the advice and only use the filters of high quality, Hoya I bought in Dubai for 4 different lenses, but I was scared that these filters might alter the chrascterstic of the digital lenses, now it is not, I will fit them on, I work in a desert atmosphere and drive long ways in the desert, that cause a lot sand travelling to my equipment which is dengerous.

Thank you again to very one here on photo.net and very best regards from Qatar

"A filter can't reduce the flare of a lens but it can make it worse."

This has not been my experience. I have a 50 year old 135mm Zeiss lens for my Contax IIa that flares when there is a strong back light (windows, not direct sun). I put a B+W MRC filter on it and the flare was virtually eliminated. I know some folks do not believe this is possible. But I can see it in my images. And it is not subtle.

I cannot see how adding a filter, irrespective of whether it was multicoated, can reduce either flare or glare. I suspect that there were other differences between the unfiltered (bare) and filtered. Most likely, the camera/lens was aimed slightly differently to exclude the flare-causing light source(s). Also, was a lens hood used when the filter was added and not with the unfiltered image?

I thoght that advertisement about reducing flare and internal reflection would produce a response. I don't believe it either. But it is advertised as such on the B+H wesite for Hoya Clear Pro 1 Digital filters. Click on "features". I would create a link but I am a computer illiterate.

I like to use Hoya filters, UV, Polorizer and ND, but I find them at the city centre Dubai Al-Sharaf store on the third floar much cheaper comparing it to the other manufacturer, an 82MM plorizer circular of Hoya cost only 20 USA Dollars while the other brand cost 3 times as much in the same shop, is this because Hoya is lower quality or is there any other reason for being so cheap ?

This time I bought arouns 12 Hoya filters, they come in a very nice case and looked to me very good, but I am not that much expert in quality wise.

Thank you