Leica

If you want to modularise something you first need to identify its components and digi cams dont have too many separable ones really. Also modular systems will always be larger than their integrated counter parts - thats just the nature of the design beast.

This idea is often raised within the context of DSLRs. With a DSLR the only modular components you have are a mirror box with view finder and the sensor, which is more than just the sensor chip as a modular component. Theres always the Leica DMR as a modular example and Im sure thats not a form factor most want. If you move to a rangefinder, by the time you build a body that is strong enough to house the lens mount and the range finder as the maintained module, then move all the electronics to a separate module you will most likely have a camera no one wants as well.

The idea of separating the sensor chip from the supporting circuitry, firmware and LCD is a pipe dream. Even with the reasonably mature modular world of the PC, the CPU socket pin-layout changes all the time requiring new mother boards; and thats even where the additional size for have the luxury of modularity doesnt really matter.

I'd be really unhappy if the only change between the Canon DSLR I now have and the generation before it was the sensor; I'm glad they upgraded everything else, from LCD size to menus, as well.

That said, rumor is that Nikon may do something modular with its 1Ds-series competitor. We'll wait and see.

On a DSLR, I don't think anything outside the sensor and CPU board cost enough to be worth retaining in an "upgrade".

On the other hand, in the M8, the rangefinder/viewfinder module is a very expensive part indeed. It certainly would be nice if they took trade-ins of M8's, and moved the rangefinder/viewfinder module to the new camera. Of course, that would depend on the "M9" having the same sensor crop -- which it may well have due to the limitations of optical physics...

The M8 body castings don't have a high marginal cost, I suspect. Not worth recycling.

I agree. It's one of those things where a consumer can say "What I'd like is this..." but when an engineer sits down and tries to design it as a saleable product, it turns out not to be economically feasible. OK, Leica have done it with the DMR, but I have the feeling it won't happen again.

Future modular digital M should consist of:

Modul 1 - Lenses- serves you at least 30 years. Modul 2 - House Body (Rangefinder&Lens

Mount) - serves you at least 15 years. Modul 3 - DigiBlock (sensor, processor, LSD and

interface) - you upgrade every year.

When assembled moduls 2 and 3 should form classic M body look