Canon 30D vs Nikon D80

hjoseph7

I absolutely dont want to start any wars, but today I got first hand experience

on using the Nikon D80. I was allways impressed by the Nikon D200, how it had

more features, weather sealing, more megapixels and sorry, a more professional

looking body. Today I thought twice about that. Now I'm not comparing the D80

to the D200 which is a more expensive cmaera, what I'm saying is that I wasn't

that much impressed with D80, compared to my 30D.

I had weekend assignment today to shoot Action shots of several youth soccer

leagues games. Being a newbie at this, I was outfitted with a Nikon D80 and a

300mm Nikon F2.8. Other more experienced photographers were outfitted with the

Nikon D2x. We use to use Cannons, but somebody in the office talked my boss

into switching to NiKons.

My first hand experience with this camera was that the AF was pretty slow. I

actually had to wait until the players on the field momentarily stopped before

tripping the shutter. I did get some great shots, but I also missed many and

many a shot waiting for the damn AF to kick in. I never had that problem with

30D. I'm not sure if I had a lemon or not, but it got so frustrating that on

several occasions I had to switch to full manual mode.

The manual override was a joke, because even if you decided to overide the AF

as soon as you hit the shutter it would revert back to AF totally defeating the

purpose. The only way to avoid this was to grip the focusing mechanism so it

could not turn, but that did not allways work since the Nikon F2.8 has an

internal focusing mechanism. The only way to get the AF to lock unto a subject

was to tap the shutter 2, 3 or even more times then hold it hold it down half

way so it would lock. You can imagine how frustrating this is in the middle of

a soccer game, when players are running around back and forth at neck speed.

When it started getting a little dark, the AF really had problems trying to

focus in and lock onto a subject. That's when I said forget it and started

using manual focusing full-time. Other than that, I really like the Histogram

which gives you not only the light and dark scales, but the colors (RGB) as

well. The lens was also pretty light despite its size. Also the colors in all

my images were dead-on, but right now I got to tell you, that I'm not feeling

too bad about my 30D.

Harry, you really try to start a war. Most people on this EOS board are pro-Canon, although may not anti-Nikon.

First, I believe you were in Auto mode all the time. You didn't switch to manual mode. Second, Nikon lost a lot of professionals in sport photography because of their slow AF system, while Canon has USM AF system. Nikon new AF-S is as fast as USM. I guess your lens is an old stock.

Knowing how to use your camera inside and out (settings, etc.) is the key to getting it to work properly for you, regardless of which camera you use. There are several settings with regard to focus that aid in faster focusing for most cameras. If you don't have the 'correct' settings, you will experience focus issues no matter which camera you are using.

The D80 with virtually any f2.8 lens, decent lighting and the correct autofocus settings will focus as fast as any similar camera in its price range, including the 30D.

The problem you are describing could easily have been a result of having the incorrect focus mode selected - for example AF-A is not ideal for sports where AF-C is.

Or not using the center focus point.

Or having the dynamic focusing mode selected.

Elliot you maybe right, but I had the camera set at the "basic zone mode" for Sports. I'm not sure how Nikon cmaras work, but the Canon 30D automatically sets the Aperture to Focusing(AI servo),and the Drive to continuous. The focusing did work, but it had trouble locking on a subject. Also if the subject was moving very rapidly infront of the camera the camera did not focus at all ! If you hit the shutter button while this happened, the lens would search and the picture came out extremly blurried.

I'm not sure it's fair or helpful to anyone to post a scathing impression of a camera and

then, in a subsequent post, to say "I'm not sure how Nikon cameras work..." I do know

however, that when Nikons are set to M for manual focus they stay on manual focus and

don't switch to AF as soon as the shutter is depressed.

I switched to Canon from Nikon some years ago for reasons that were specific to the way I

like to work and to the work that I do. I do, however recognise that both are excellent

systems chosen by professionals and advanced amateurs the world over who are making

wonderful images with them.

I am unsure of the value in posting a review of a camera (and then damning a whole

system based on that) with such a short aquaintance, unclear knowledge of how the

"camera worked" and without any empirical side by side testing - there are plenty of

researched, professional reviews and tests of cameras out there - how did this help?

Maybe you can move on to flaming a Chevy / Ford argument or a Windows / Mac war

somewhere else?

I guess I wasn't clear...

How does it help anyone who wants to actually know anything at all about the two cameras

mentioned?

What is the pont of posting an impression about a camera you admittedly know nothing

about and are clearly using improperly (manual focus)?

Seriously, why bother?

Maybe you didn't read my entire post is said"

"I had the camera set at the "basic zone mode" for Sports. I'm not sure how Nikon cameras work, but the Canon 30D automatically sets the Aperture, the Focusing(AI servo),and the Drive to continuous."

I also said "maybe I had a lemon"

If you know something about the Nikon Camera that I dont about or you please let me know.

Harry,

I think you are coming up against the fact that there aren't really direct, head-to-head camera models to compare at these price points, between Canon and Nikon.

The D80 is a quite capable camera, but a little lower specification than the Canon 30D (and now 40D). Meanwhile, the D200 (and now D300) are slightly higher specification and price than the same Canon.

All your experiences with the D80 point to this, although I have to agree that your testing was no where near deep or involved enough to give much really valid, useful info.

Nikon has cleverly positioned it's offerings just slightly below and above Canon's model. In my opinion that's just a good marketing strategy on their part, to offer something slightly less expensive and lower spec, along with something slightly higher priced and with slightly higher specifications. They avoid going head-to-head with Canon, this way, and catch "niche" buyers who have slightly less or more to spend and need slightly less or more camera. They appear to have designed both the D300 and the new, full frame D3 with the same thinking. We'll see for sure when the D300 and D3 are reality, get some testing in the real world, and their respective pricing settle down a bit.

Personally, I'd really like to see Canon offer a more pro-oriented 1.6X crop camera. Not that the 40D is at all bad in any way. In fact, it could easily be the basis for a "Pro" version that simply beefs up in some areas, and more directly competes with the D300. There's currently a big jump between the 30D/40D and the 1D-series, a gap that Canon might do well to fill. On the other hand, the accountants and marketing whizzes at Canon's corporate offices may be perfectly happy with the status quo. So, who knows what we may see in the future!

This is very classic question begin last year, I Think/opinion canon 30D better with low noise, body durability (not plastic)- for answer this question something like wise person : what object or focus you are spesially for - if landscape using Nikon because the tone little better for this but canon colour tones understanding for fashion, people, wedding, etc. My last opinion in for this question I think the focus not what brand/technology specification, etc but what we can do with it & how we enjoy using it, if round about brand just not C or N - how Oly - best regard

The Canon 30D sold for $1400 when it hit the shelves in 2006, while the D80 sold for under $1000. Why not compare the D80 to the Canon 400D?

Canon is heavily discounting at the bottom half of its camera line as Nikon has passed it by in overall market share largely due to its entry level DSLRs like the D40 and D40x.

Canon did the same with the 5D to counter the success of the D200, and will probably do the same with the Mark III once the D3 becomes available.

But for most photographers the value a camera is in the pictures it takes and that requires lenses, flash, and customer service both in terms of initial quality control and for after sale support. Anyone who picks up two cameras for a few minutes and then makes a camera system evaluation is at best being very foolish. Letting others know how foolish they are - well that is beyond words.