LCD display has regular shards of noise running horizontally (like a

transmission from another galaxy), and the autofocus motor never shuts off,

sounding like a chugging freight train, even when when camera and subject are

completely still.

There's no way anyone, let alone a tech, actually turned this camera on to see

if it was operational. It was to be a gift and fortunately my wife said I

should power it up first.

So.... I am looking for a camera for my daughter who has taken marvelous shots

with a 2MP Polaroid with only a 1.5" screen.

I want something she can look through and frame a shot, like an EVF viewfinder

will give you, let alone a TTL prism. The 8800 is too much camera. Any

suggestions? Maybe another 5700 is the answer, and seemed perfect, but I am

really disappointed right now with KEH.

Thanks Howard. I did that before posting here, and indeed they're taking it back. It should never have been sold. I have sold stuff to KEH that they had to check before giving me full value (which they always wound up doing because I never exaggerated the condition of things I sell).

It's funny because I informed the original salesman about the OPANDA program for checking actuations. He'd never heard of it and said they do not check digital bodies for actual actuations of the shutter... The 5700 I bought came with a stone dead Lithium battery in plastic... I doubt KEH ever powered this camera up before resale.

It is very likely that when KEH received and tested the camera it was in perfect working order.

The Nikon 5700 is one of a number of Nikon cameras that have been identified as having faulty Sony CCD's. The failure of the CCD can happen, quite literally, in a few minutes time. One minute the camera is working fine, the next it is not.

Given KEH's reputation, and given that the 5700 has a service advisory, I am keen to believe that KEH did not knowingly ship you a bad camera.

More information on the CCD service advisories.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Actually, as I indicated, the problem isn't in the CCD, but the articulated LCD. The service advisory link you posted has nothing to do with the camera I unfortunately purchased.

Does the 5700 also have an advisory on the AF system? On this example it's clearly got issues, instantly obvious.

Oddly enough, Bill, in order for the camera to display an image on the LCD, it uses the CCD to gather light and do so!

The problem is with the CCD, bill. As the sample images on the page show as well as numerous other in the archives of photo.net

Example:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KgEh

Example:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00LeYx

Example:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CS9A

I could go on for quite a while Bill, but hopefully you get the point. All of these images are from cameras with failed CCD's and all of them showed the fault in both the image and on the LCD.

If you had taken any test shots with the 5700 before sending it back you would have seen the fault in the images as well.

Rob, on PLAYBACK of captured images, the image on the LCD does not come from the CCD, it is on the CF card. When reviewing the MENU options, the image, again, is not coming from the CCD. Glitchy horizontal spikes appear on the LCD in all modes.

The LCD display on this example of the 5700 (not to mention the AF) is defective. It simply is. This is not something you need to worry about, because you were not sold the camera. I, unfortunately, was.

But I grant you, perhaps the CCD is defective too! I wouldn't doubt there's a whole lot wrong with this camera. It behaves as if the electrical connections are shorting -- perhaps from prior moisture damage, but that I can't say.

In any event, what I have noted above has nothing to do with service advisories, or Sony, or even Nikon, but a defective product that should have been checked more thoroughly before it was resold.

It's really as basic as that. Otherwise KEH is little better than Ebay.

Bill,

As someone who had his Canon A80 CCD replaced for the EXACT problem you are describing, I know what I am talking about. My camera behaved the same way as yours. Canon replaced the CCD and the problem was fixed. My assumption was not an assumption. It was a conclusion based on experience.

I would be happy to dig up the sample images I have taken with my A80 that show this problem. I probably can even find the work order from the Canon repair facility. You have only my word that the behavior on the LCD was the same regardless of mode.

Oh dear... Rob. Please. Let's assume everything you have said is correct, and that the CCD even causes the intermittent spikes, in real-time, during playback of images that otherwise are fine, AND that it also does this in MENU mode within playback operation... Let's just assume all of that.

The AF is ALSO defective, as I initially posted. It isn't supposed to keep chugging like it's hung up or the motor is shorting out. It isn't supposed to keep chugging in PLAYBACK mode. Hey, maybe it's not the AF, but the Zoom motor. Whatever. It's broken.

This camera is clearly not up to spec and, in all likelihood, it did not develop these issues just after I charged the battery and powered it up.

this thread kinda got hijacked. but to answer one of the OP's queries,

<I want something she can look through and frame a shot, like an EVF viewfinder will give you, let alone a TTL prism. The 8800 is too much camera. Any suggestions?>

there's some pretty good deals to be had right now in superzooms. a quick net search reveals the Coolpix 5700 came out in 2002 and cost $1200 at the time for 5 MP and and 8x zoom. not sure what your budget is, but i'll list a few deals i think are pretty good right now.

Fuji S700 -- probably the best $200 superzoom around; actually, the only $200 superzoom around. No EVF or Super CCD chip, but 7MP, 10X zoom, full P,A,S.M modes, ISO to 1600.

Fuji S6000fd -- a pretty good deal for about $300. 8.3 MP, face detection, 10.7 zoom starting at 28mm, EVF, twist-ring zoom action, Super CCD chip.

Canon S5 IS Pro -- does almost everything a d40 with 18-200 does, except more zoom and other bells and whistles. loaded with 8MP, 12x zoom, image stabilization, video mode, tilt-angle LCD, EVF, hotshoe. about $350 online.

Canon PowerShot G7. Last year's model. cool retro rangefinder style. 10mp, 6x zoom, EVF, face detection, ISO 1600, hotshoe. around $400.

Canon Powershot G9. This year's model. 12mp, 6x zoom, 3" LCD, IS, ISO 3200, EVF, hotshoe. $450-$500.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC H7/H9. Two 8.1 mp, EVF 15x zooms with Zeiss glass, optical stabilization, face detection, iso 3200, video, etc. HP has a tilting LCd and Night Shot; otherwise they are identical. $350 (H7); $450 (H9).

the H9 is probably the closest to a 5700 in terms of features and looks, except it has much more recent technology, like stabilization.

i'd take a long look at this and also the fuji s6000 and the csnon s5.

HTH.

My old Sony Cybershot DSC F717 is five years old has taken 35,000+ shots and is still going strong and it has a diopter corrected EVF and a good rubber hood which actually shrouds your eye from surounding light. Great quality Zeiss glass and an articulated lens to help out with 'stooped' shots - it's a corker of a digicam. I'm not selling mine for love nor money though.......check eBay maybe? I can recommend this model highly.