Does anybody use ringflash for portraiture?

nikoruser

I'm intrested in giving ringflash a try, but I dont exactly understand the

difference that the ringflash have on a subject versus soft boxes or umbrellas?

I'm intrested to hear about your experiance using ringflash, and also what

system or brand would be a good starting point. Thanks in advance!

I sure do, but the ringlights I use, the Alien Bees ABR800 and the Zeus Ringmaster, can be configured in many different ways beyond the standard baretube/hardlight full frontal ringlight assault.

With the camera mounted to the ring light assembly I use it either as the "key" (main) light, or as a fill light.

I can use it it bare tube. This produces the cliche'd ringlight look.

I can use it with the diffuser.

I can use it with the 10" reflector.

I can use it with the internal deflector (for the Moon unit softbox) and the 10" reflector to make a thinner ring of light further from the lens axis.

I can use it with the 10" reflector and the optional grid spot

I can use it with either the 32 inch or the new 54 inch Moonunit softboxes

Depending on the room I can use it with the just the internal deflector to bounce the light from the walls and ceiling.

Off camera I can use it as a grid spotted head, configured as a softbox or I can use it with the umbrella adapter.

I can gel it.

The ABR800 is a 320 watt-second (maximum) monolight. The Ringmaster head can be used with either the 1250 watt-second or the 2500 watt-second (maximum) Zeus pack. Both have enough modeling light power to let me see what I am doing. Both are fan cooled.

The advantage of the Zeus and Ringmaster is that there's a lot more power available and it is much lighter and shallower. The advantage of the ABR is that it is a monolight.

Ellis - your writing reminds me of Dr. Seuss! Awesome!

I like green eggs and ham!

I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!

And I would eat them in a boat.

And I would eat them with a goat...

And I will eat them in the rain.

And in the dark. And on a train.

And in a car. And in a tree.

They are so good, so good, you see!

Even if it does sound like Dr. Seuss... What Ellis said. I also have an ABR800 and while it can be used alone, it tends to give that cliche' ring-light look with a strong shadow cast behind the subject - if they're close to a wall, backdrop etc.

Here's an example shot of just an ABR800 used alone: http://www.photo.net/photo/5606847 The thing about using them alone is that pretty much every shot looks the same - which isn't a bad look, just a bit over-used.

There are many more possibilities though if you use some of Ellis's suggestions. Here's a shot where I used both the ABR and a second light in a softbox to help get rid of the strong shadow: http://www.photo.net/photo/6394370 Because it's a very concentrated and bright light, they're great for getting rid of bags under eyes and some types of skin problems.

But if I could only buy one light it wouldn't be a ringlight; I'd get a regular strobe and either an umbrella or softbox. If you already have a light or two and some modifiers, the ABR800 is a great deal compared to most ringlights and while it's not built like a BMW by any means it certainly works fine and Alien Bees sells some great modifiers specially designed for it.

Here's an example of the ABR800 used as a fill light

https://www.photoshelter.com/mem/album/img-show?src=b&A_ID=A0000eHBDpqEsmI0&start=0&pagtotal=1

the key light was a strip softbox to camera left and towards the back of the set.

The light on the right (the one lighting the right side of the photo and his back) was a second ABR800 set up for use with an umbrella and it was aimed at a large white flat o nthat side of the set.