Sigma 50-500 vs other long teles

sai

Hi you all!

I've read tons of reviews and threads about this lens. The reviews say it is a

sharp, fast AF , versatile lens. I mean 50-500mm what else do you want? Now, I'm

not a pro. I do care about IQ and sharpness, but I'm not absessive with it. I

would love to buy primes and L glass but my budget doesn't allow it. I go

frecuently to the Rain forest in Colombia and with my bad Canon 90-300mm I've

taken some nice shots. I do need something longer. Primes are nice but I need

something versatile. I was thinking about getting the Canon 100-400 L, although

I really don't like the pull/push zooming of it. Of course IS is fantastic, and

I'm sure IQ too, but now that I've found out about the Bigma 50-500mm I have my

doubts.

Could someone tell me about his/hers experience with this lens? Is it sharp at

the long end? I have the shorter range coverd and I would use it from 100mm on.

Am I buying crap glass? What about using it with TCs?

IS THIS LENS WORTH IT OR NOT? WHY?

I'm really attracted to the 500mm and versatility....

gracias in advance

Simon,

Here are two shots I've posted here that are taken with it.

http://www.photo.net/photo/6037041

http://www.photo.net/photo/6397457

I am really pleased with the lens. The B17 was taken on a tripod at ISO 400 and the Blue Heron was taken hand held at ISO 400. You will at least need a monopod with this lens. I broke my own rule by not using a monopod with the Blue Heron because I left it at home and really just took a chance. It was taken on a light overcast day. Both were taken at the upper end nearer 500mm; but, I don't remember the exact number. I have found it to be very sharp through the entire zoom range.

I think the lens is worth every penny I spent on it and wouldn't be afraid to buy another one. The only problem I've had with it is the creep lock got jammed and had to send that off for repair.

I think the main downside to bigma is its weight. At 1.8kg as compared to 1.3kg for 100-400, its an issue for me (though I have none of the two yet). Also depends on whether IS is useful for you

IQ on bigma looks quite good from what I have seen so far

I have friends who use this lens. It's fairly good by itself but the addition of a teleconverter is

not a good idea. Unsurprisingly, the 50-500's image quality is not in the same league as

what I get out of a Canon 500/4 IS, and the latter is also more than twice as fast, focuses

considerably quicker, is comfortable with teleconverters, and is stabilized. But of course it

costs 5X as much and is even larger and heavier than the 'Bigma'.

I think the main problem with the 50-500 is the lack of stabilization, which you can mostly

get around by using firm support (tripod, beanbag, etc.).

Hi

I have used both the Canon and the Sigma in the past.Both are about equally sharp....colors are a bit richer on the Canon. The Sigma is not really a 500mm more like 460-470mm lens.Both lenses focus very fast for a long zoom. In lower light conditions the Canon is far better with the IS-system when used handheld. Have you ever tried handhelding a 400-500mm lens without any support or IS. You need a very steady hand or extreme good light conditions to use the Bigma.

Ok, so let's say I use a tripod to shoot with it (although some people say thay can handhold it? I'm sure iy's really hard to keep it steady at 300mm!) Is the IQ good or not? Is it sharp?

By looking at the example images that people shown me, I'd say it is.

Oh my God, why doesn't Sigma have IS...

Should I spend the $1000, or save $400 more and get the Canon 100-400 and don't have the extra 100mm?

You might want to <a href="http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=105&sort=7&cat=37&page=1">read some of these reviews</a> over at Fred Miranda.<P>

The most common complaint is that it softens up substantially at the long end - unless you stop it down a couple of stops. At the long end you're already at f 6.3 so you'll probably be stopped down ~ f/11 to get something really sharp. That's pretty slow.<P>

An 86mm filter size means buying even a polarizer will not be inexpensive and of course you'd lose 2 more stops of light if you do.<P>

Many people sing its praises though, so if you can live with some of the limitations you may like it too. Good luck!

I've used the 50-500 for about 1 1/2 years, and it's a fine lens. Mine was sharp thru the whole range. Due to the f6.3 aperture at the 500mm end, I almost always shot it wide open.

It's definitely heavy, but hand-holding depends more on the photographer. I've used it handheld, and I use the 120-300/2.8 (~1kg heavier) handheld too. The key is to only do it for short periods.

I considered the Bigma and EF 100-400L for aviation photography and eventually went with the Canon.

1) Weight... other Aviation shooters had said that the Bigma can put a lot of strain on your arm over a day at an airshow. Monopods/tripods are not convenient for this type of shooting.

2) Image Stabilization is ALWAYS useful even if you are lucky enough to have the light for a fast shutter, especially on a long tele like these.

3) Limited to f6.3 @ 500mm with the Bigma. I do tend to stop the 100-400L to f8 if I can for sharpness so that's not CRITICAL for me, but it means you're pretty close to the widest aperture already.

4) Image quality was shown to me in several photos to be slightly less than the Canon

5) When looking at similar subjects, the extra 100mm at the long end didn't seem significant to me to override points 1 through 4 (A bit like 8MP vs. 10MP... it's a difference, but is it a BIG difference?)

It all added up that the extra cost of the EF 100-400L over the Bigma could be justified, especially as I intend to have it for many years so the cost is spread out. At least that's what I tell myself ;)

Either get a DSLR with body-antishake and the Bigma or, stick to EOS and save for the 100-400mm IS. The stabilisation is extremly useful!

As far as I remember the 80-400mm OS focusses slower and less acurate than the 100-400mm IS and the difference in price wasn't that much.