40D Shutter release vibration

brian_moody

I have read many posts with respect to the shutter on the 40D. I upgraded today and bought a new

camera from Bear Images in Palo Alto. However when I got it home and pressed the shutter I was quite

shocked when the whole camera vibrated in my hand. There is a vibration and strange shutter sound

when compared to my 30D. Is this normal? I have seem posts mention that the shutter is quieter than the

20 and 30D. Not so in this camera. There are several posts that make light of this vibration as well. Take

it back?

bm

It's hard to judge a sound or the vibration that you are experiencing. However, on a normal, healthy 40D the sound is quieter and more muffled. The 20D/30D's sound is louder and crisper. It's a clear difference, but I wonder if a person with high frequency hearing loss wouldn't perceive it differently.

The 40D's mirror return does induce some vibration. If you set the shutter to 1 second and fire it off a few times, you can generally pick up on the slight vibration after the exposure is complete. But I feel the 40D vibrate ever so slightly less than the 20D/30D before and during the exposure. In practice it never seems to be an issue either way.

But if your shutter is too loud and it shake the camera too much, you may have a bad one. Perhaps you could take it back an compare it to a display camera.

You must have a defective one. Return it.

My 40D is pianissimo, e.g., many times softer than my 20D and noticeably softer than my

5D. I can't feel any vibration in normal hand held shooting either. I've done many macro

shots with slow shutter speeds--1/4 to 1/15 sec--and can see no evidence of vibration

induced blur or softness (tripod of course and no MLU). Impressive camera.

However, perhaps you're hearing the motor driven return of the mirror. The 20D/30D

used a spring. I can't normally hear or feel the motor but if I let the wires from my

earbuds touch the camera body the mechanical vibration travels straight to my inner ear.

Kinda freaked me out. Realize the motorized mirror return happens after the exposure is

finished...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

The 40D uses a motor to lift the mirror before the shutter opens, unlike it's predecessors which used a spring. The mirror return has always been motorised.

I could imagine that the 40D mirror/shutter action would feel different from the 30D because of the motorised mirror lift.

Take it back and get it checked otherwise it will always irritate you.

Henry

I noticed a strange on my 40d. I sent it to Canon two weeks ago and I'm waiting for it's

return. The strange sound started after 3 weddings. I would guess that i got less than 4000

shots before the noise started. Once the noise started, I started receiving e-99 messages.

The shipping cost really upset me, especially since the camera was a month old and on the

third job.

• 2 weeks later...
The shutter vibration is felt through the shutter mainly, and many have been getting a free repair in Korea through authorized canon outlets. Even gray market units purchased from the Japanese market, have the same problem, but canon will not repair these for free. They are charging somehwere between $100-$150 to install some type of shock absorbing material inside the camera to minimize this. Of course hundreds are furious and once again calling for a boycott of canons poor manufacturing and service