What is a used M8 worth?

My information is that Leica can sell all the M8s that it can make, so this leads me to believe that a genuine, mint, used M8 would get close to new retail price. Unfortunately this puts it in the ballpark of the scam merchants so a seller may have slight problems with credibility.

So here are the things I'd consider:

1. if used and no warranty, I'd wonder why the camera is on sale. I would anticipate that it will fail within a year and need a repair at Solms, and I have no idea what that would cost. So, I'd be imagining that I wouldn't pay over $1000 for a used, no warranty M8.

2. if it came with a warranty, like I've seen demo units come with (i.e. 1 year warranty), I am comparing to the price of the RD1. I haven't bought at $4K for the demo ones. I would buy if the price were $1.5K to $2K. And I'd still live with the fear that it will fail within the warranty period.

As good as the M8 might be, it has lost that Leitz value for longevity and reliability. I find that very very sad.

Vick

It depends on where it is being sold, who is selling it (individual or dealer), its condition, and its scarcity. You should check some of the sites like KEH, eBay completed auctions (US & UK), and one or two other leading dealers in large cities (NY, London, etc).

well here in Australia I payed US $3100 for 4 months old M8 with 20 months warranty in May 07(new one is US$5500 )I love mine and I would payed same $ with no warranty.Most poeple get best part of US$4000 for there M 8.

Zoran

Gee. The OP asks a simple question a gets grief from some posters.

<p>

The M8 has seemed to hold onto its price very well due to the demand. I don't think I have seen a price under $4000 US.

<p>

Here is a site that has tracked the auction prices on Ebay.

<p>

<a href="http://www.pixel-peeper.com/cameras/?camera=170&tab=2">M8 Auction Prices</a>

<p>

There may be some change now as the list price has increase to $5495.

Joshua you don't say where or from whom your buying the M8 (or maybe your selling?) The M8 price has just gone up to $5,500 and that will elevate the price of used as well. If you are buying from a dealer always ask for a warranty and or return period. If it is from an individual let the buyer beware unless they are willing to give you a return period. Waiting for the M9 (which is a myth among non owners) will eventually just cost you more because if and when there is an M9 it will be more than the M8 and that will begin a new debate among non owners as to the value and when the M10 will be out. Assuming the camera (or any camera) will break down within a year is absurd paranoia. We'd all still be using shoe boxes as pinhole cameras if we assumed such nonsense. As one individual noted here Ebay is a broad market that is a good guideline for the price of used equipment.

Not the one on craigslist (which it seems is also on ebay) my friend went ahead and sold to a local dealer-idaho camera who tends to sell leica goods at rather high prices (only used) they gave him 4500 for it and I would imagine they will sell at a higher price. It is the only m8 they have. One of a few M's they have.

I would have bought his if it were not for the fact that I plan to wait for the m9 and m10 to hit so the m8 will drop drastically in price (I hope) so that I can have one :) in the meantime I am awaiting a review unit from leica :)