City of the Dead

john_perkins2

I went to the website and, like the posted photograph, I found the overall work annoyingly

dark. Is this intentional or is there a calibration problem? I also think this work would be

stronger in black and white. The concept is brilliant and the effort put into this project is

praiseworthy and compelling.

Concept and effort are worth nothing without results.

Children always make engaging subjects, but I found this a pretty pedestrian batch. And tilted frames, isn't that a really worn out trope by now?

On the whole, the set gives me no feeling at all for life in the City of the Dead - there are no establishing shots, and nothing that really sets these pictures apart. Since it's a long term project, I'm sure it'll develop over time - maybe this was just a first stab at it.

Ah Rob, nice to hear from you. You still in Italy? Thanks for the feedback. I guess the 3rd

pic is the closest to an establishing shot you'll get from this part of the cemetary where

the family live. I did make a weird selection, mostly going for the simpler pictures. So

what's missing? The way the older kids look after the younger ones? How the flower selling

business works? Kids chained up? Meal times? The mosque? More on the goats? Where

does this go? About how divided Cairo is between rich and poor? How the state fails the

vulnerable? I remember some of your India work. I'll go and take a look at that again and

try and work out where you're coming from.

Yes, exposure is funnny, most of it was shot on expired film. That will teach me to live in

the 3rd world.

I think some of the pictures could use some adjustment but I suppose the darkness adds the elements of foreboding and mystery. I also didn't get distracted by excessive tilts. Overall these pictures are much better than the dreck that typically gets posted here.

John - don't take it so hard! Don't go to my snaps for any guidance - I am as dissatisfied with them as anyone could possibly be.

I suppose what I hope for in pictures these days is something new - something I haven't seen before. The only thing in a PJ mode that has given me that feeling for a long time has been Suau's Beyond the Fall (I think...). Also a long term project. So there is always hope.

Children chained up? Victims, poverty, "problems" don't interest me at all. People do. And I don't yet have a feeling of that from what you're showing... But maybe that's not what you're after - who am I to wag my finger at you.

You're living in Cairo these days? I'm in Bombay at the present time, have been for the last year.

John,

One way that may work for you is to sit with the locals for a while, sipping some tea, and then slowly take candid photos as you become a "part" of their community.

--------------------------------------------------------------

John said: "So what's missing? The way the older kids look after the younger ones? How the flower selling business works? Kids chained up? Meal times? The mosque? More on the goats? Where does this go?"

>>> One way that may work for you is to sit with the locals for a while, sipping some tea,

and then slowly take candid photos as you become a "part" of their community.

Have a feeling he knows his way around people and communities - just a thought looking at

his work (which I like a lot) from many countries...

www.citysnaps.net

Vivek, you click on the image of the boy and the monkey to get into the site, after which you have a number of pdf portfolios available to you.

Raid, I believe John has spent many years in the Middle East (we met there in 2002) and is very familiar with local cultures and people. There is no doubt that he spends a lot of time on his projects and is good at getting close to people.