5D - Another Price Drop

hugebob

Is it just me, or is something afoot? From the last time I checked, the price

for a new 5D at <a

href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397314-REG/Canon_0296B002_EOS_5D_Digital_Camera.html">B&H</a>

has dropped another $20: down from $2199.99 in less than 2 weeks. This has me

thinking. Should I wait for the 5D II or bite now. I'm wondering if it's just

the push for Christmas or an attempt to move stock because the 5D II is due out

shortly?

If you want the camera and need the camera, buy the camera. Even if Canon announces something today, it will take a couple of months (at least) to get product into the stores. To my knowledge Canon has not officially announced anything, so if you don't need it now or don't mind waiting, then wait.

Any speculation as to why Canon would lower prices now is just that... Speculation.

Dave

The 5D has been selling for substantially less than that for a long time (eBay). You are probably right on both your comments about pricing. Keep in mind that after they introduce the 5DII, it is only a matter of time until they introduce the 5DIII, and so on.

The 5DII will likely be substantially more expensive than the 5D. If you have a good camera now and can wait, why not wait? If you are on a limited budget and/or absolutely need the camera now, buy it now.

Hard decision to make. Good luck! You win either way. The 5D is a fantastic camera and its replacement should be even better.

I did that $20 drop 3 days ago. I'm waiting for $1,999.99, which coincidentally is where the 5D has been stuck at in Asia for last 3 months. $180 to go and I will own a 5D, new in the box. If it doesn't get there then I'll buy a 16-35mmII before the instant rebate ends in Jan 08 and then maybe by March or April 08 the 5D will get to 2K and I'll finially get me one.

Lindy

I bought a 5D for less than $2600 18 months ago. I could waited another few months and

got the double rebate or stuck with my 10D for another 18 months. But then I got to enjoy

using my 5D and take a lot of great pictures for a mere extra $500. The best time to buy is

when you really want or need it, not when some magical price reduction appears.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I'm a 10D owner waiting for the the 5D replacement but I might be inclined to buy a 5D. Additional MP is not worth the wait for me but a 3" LCD and possible lower noise would be. Live preview seems like it would be nice for macro.

I'm curious what percentage of it's current value a 5D will hold at resale, after a replacement is available.

Not to criticize, since people do need frequent reminders of frequently asked questions, but if you don't want to buy something just before the price drops, then you will always be waiting for the next thing.

The only protection against price drops is to buy midstream in the model life of a given camera, computer, car, etc. Early adopters (aka 'bleeding edge') will have the joy of working out the bugs in the product. They will always have the latest thing, though. Late adopters ('trailing edge') will find themselves buying a product only a month, week, or day before the new model comes out. Like wildebeest, the only ones who won't suffer are the ones who stay in the main herd.

Even the midstream system won't protect you against rebates, market variations, and other such events.

Actually, it only takes a few months, if you're lucky, for the bugs to get worked out; just good to give them a little while to be sure.

I think in the end, it really is best to buy when you need it, and don't sweat the bargains overly much.

When the 5D issued at $3,299 I wanted one, but no way I'd pay that so instead I bought a Pentax dslr for $800. 5D dropped to $2,899 I still wanted one but I bought a like new Eos3 and drive for $425. 5D dropped to $2,199 after $600 rebate and since I was already enjoying 1.5x crop digital photography I bought a second identical pentax dslr for $400.

I still shoot film via 14mm and circular fisheye lenses. Everything else I am already getting with two pentax dslrs. So for me price needs to make sense. If 5D won't hit my 2K number then I'll spend less and get the sweet 16-35mm II for $1,361 delivered. Of course I realize the 5D replacement,7D?, will be incredible but from what I've read the 5D is already incredible and at the right price, will serve me quite well and feel right with my wallet too. If I were willing to play the buy a canon printer and bundle it with a 5D game, per current rebate, I think the 5D would be $1,800~ish.

As far as dslr's holding value, when my $800 pentax could be bought new for $400 that put a ceiling on my first one's used resale value. Why pay more for something's that used when a new one costs less? If brand new 5D make it down to $1,800 without a rebated printer bundle special then why would any used 5D be worth more than $1,800?

Lindy

Sigh. I'd just be happy if they'd release an updated 1V with the ES-E1 functions built in and maaaaybe ECF. But as far as a new 5D, I'll bet they'll release a '3D' instead. Canon seems to enjoy naming scheme symmetry. Either way, I'd say the greater benefit to them releasing a new model is that the old one will get cheaper; if you'd be happy with a 5D now, why be less happy just because a new one comes out?

I'm where Lindy is, just sold my Minolta gear and ready to pounce on a 5D. I just looked today and Amazon dropped the price AGAIN, to $2124. They also offer it from Cameta for $2099 (they're usually higher!), but with 24.95 shipping, so the same $2124.

Lindy, I say we hold off another month and see... you may get that $1999 5D from a real place like B&H afterall, and I'll be right there behind you. Where we need to be careful is if the price drop means the II version is coming, we might have a hard time finding one. Right now at Amazon it's only $125 over your goal... hmmm, what to do...

<P><i>"Get this: Adorama just dropped it to $2099, and if you buy the Canon 9000 Pixma printer for $405, you get a $400 rebate. $5 PRINTER for up to 13"x19"'s. It just keeps getting better!"</i></p>

Correction! They're offering a $100 and a $400 rebate! Which makes the 5D priced slightly over $2000! Combine that with free shipping and you're looking at quite a deal! Can it get any better?

You're right! Now, Adorama charges shipping on the printer, Amazon does not, but the printer is $432 at Amazon, so it's a wash.

BOTTOM LINE: with two MIR's totalling $500, you MAKE $68 on the printer!

So, as you said: $2099 - $68 = $2031 for a 5D and Pixma. Wow.

PLUS, with Amazon, you get a LowePro padded camera strap for FREE.

Now, the clincher: apply for the Amazon Credit Card, and get $30 more off (applied to the statement), and you've got the 5D for $2001. Actually, subtract the real cost of the printer and you've got the 5D for $1569. It seems crazy to wait any longer.

I strike tonight at precisely 5pm EST. I'm waiting in case there's one more price drop today. ;-)

Folks, I went for it. Even if there's another price drop or rebate, will it be more than the free $430 13x19 printer that I needed anyway? Maybe near Christmas, but having just sold my KM 7D, I have nothing at the moment. This is really an amazing deal, especially if you need a 13x19 printer. If not, hang in there, the price ride may not be over!

FYI, here's what you get right now at Amazon, and here's what it costs:

5D - $2,099.95

LowePro Padded Strap - $19.95

Canon Pixma 9000 Printer - $432.30

TOTAL COST: $2,032.25!

BECAUSE:

Total charge: $2,552.20

Subtract $19.95 at checkout for the strap (gift from Amazon)

Subtract $500 for the two rebates

Very nice deal. So are the Canon Lens rebates.

Ciao!

• 6 months later...