Nikon Coolscan LS-2000 and Windows XP

I don't think you can convert the Nikon to USB and I doubt you'll find a functional SCSI/USB adapter (the manufacturers warn that it might not work, and it didn't for me with a Polaroid scanner). You can however have SCSI card installed for around $150 with labor (I think). That might work. It might be smarter and cheaper to use an old Win98 machine.

The LS2000 shiped with an Adaptec SCSI card according to Nikon web site. Nikon recomends using Nikon Scan V3.2.1 with XP and V 2.5.1 with NT. If the SCSI card is there then it is a simple procedure to open the cover and install the SCSI card in an empty PCI slot, your computer update manual should tell you everything you need to know on how to do it. If the SCSI card is not there then search around the web as they can be found for $50 or less. For the software and firmware updates go to Nikonusa.com select service>Photography>scanners>LS2000 and hit the search button. The LS2000 is supported by ViewScan which will run on Win.XP.<br>

I have a Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 whose SCSI card was strictly plug and play on my XP machine.

I've got an LS2000 running on XP with no hassle at all. I use ViewScan but the Nikon software works fine. Since I have SCSI hard drives in my machine, I use a high end SCSI controller but you don't really need that just to host the scanner. You'll probably find that you have to load an ASPI32 module to support the SCSI interface, though, since XP has no ASPI layer loaded by default. Your scsi device manufacturer should provide that for you.

Rob

Ross, Like Robert, I used the LS2000 until it died and I now use the LS5000. I was using the LS2000 with a SCSI adapter PCI card that I purchased from E-bay for $15.00 and running Windows XP - Adaptec was helpful in providing setup instructions via E-mail. I don't have any specific complaints about SCSI but wouldn't spend any money on old technology.