Camera companies should protect our investment .

chuck_t

Those who made/still making good bucks out of digital photography says 'Digital is the best'. Those who could not -'It's not good for me' This is a never ending story.

Do I need to change my old DSLR body(working condition)just to buy a new one with the same body design & construction ? Why not change the sensor and image processor insteed

I own a lot of cameras and some were bought with a certain amount of investment potential. But these were old cameras which had done depreciating and will always be worth at least what I paid for them. The cameras that I use mostly to make pictures are relatively new, are depreciating, and will be a cost, not an investment. I don't expect any different.

Darn it Canon! Damn you! I bought a 10D just over four years ago for $1500.

Last month I bought your new 40D for $1300. Horrible! It is light years better than the 10D yet is far cheaper. Dammit -- why not charge me $3000 like you could've in 2003?

Investment? Bah! Buy quality lenses if you want to keep something.

(and my 17-year-old Canon EOS 10S still takes great photos... what kind of crappy investment was that Chuck?)

Damned if they do,damned if they don't. If a company fails to add upgrades to its flagship model every year or sooner, then it is behind the technological curve. If it does,it is doing the gang a disservice. Cameras are a low grade investment unless you use them to make money. But let us put a value on their pleasure potential. Like the family pet, a money pit.

Not to be contrary, but it seems to me that we consumers (pro, amateur, or otherwise) to insure the camera companies' investments, not the other way around. Oh, it'd be nice to think they're looking out for me, but that's just way too grandiose and optimistic. Companies that develop, produce and sell cameras and other photo gear are driven first to get a return on their investments in time, labor, materials, etc., and to return an investment to their owners, private or publicly held. It *is* in their best interest to make as good a product as they can, but within reason. Only so many people can afford Hasselblads, or Rolls, or other more value holding material goods, and even those do depreciate unless they endure long enough to become collectors' items.

Whenever I get the urge to buy a new camera, I would hope to get a decent trade in, or to sell my old one on eBay, etc., but my biggest hope is that I end up feeling like whatever I spent was worth it for the value, utility and pleasure I received.