How can we improve this forum's value to all participants?

fotografz

Along those lines (wish I could've just added this to my last post, case in point), I don't

believe it's realistic to hope to significantly change the type of questions coming in, and

not even neccessarily neccessary. There will always be some interesting situational topics

and more dealing with critiques and gear. Practically speaking, what can be changed is

the forum's format to make it easier and less time consuming for people to find and

access what they are interested in.

My suggestions for that - list threads automatically by latest activity (no good reason not

to, newest ones still appear first, obviously), allow editing of posts, improve the search

function by allowing the option to limit it to one forum of photo.net and (most

importantly) break up the wedding forum into subcategories. Topics shouldn't be, as

someone else put it, all plopped into one area. Seperate bins would be so much easier -

and they're already established! Threads already get archived by subcategory - very

adequately, I think. Anyone can see how many there are, that just proves the point that

there are too many types to combine on the main page. Even if it's just a few bins, it

would go a long way to streamlining the forum.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>why can't the format be changed so recently added-on-to threads jump to the top of the list like very other forum I've ever visited?</i><p><i>list threads automatically by latest activity</i><p>Click on the "New Answers" link at the top of the forum home page and you get this. It's been there since the beginning.

Amy, you can request an alert to your inbox when there is a new post. If threads don't look interesting, delete them with the rest of your spam. if they do, open and read it, then request an alert when there are new responses. or don't read it for a few days until most contributions have been made. I find this easier than going to the site every day to see what new threads have been started.

The "form" of the forum has been less than satifactory for a long time according to what seems to be a great majority.

The solution is simple: have "the powers to be" study/research successful forums and make changes.

If it stays the same then the same results live on. The internet is a fast paced animal and those who lag behind the technology are quickly left behind.

This format is old, old, old and it's been stated multiple times by many people that it's confusing and does little to serve those who have enjoyed it in the past. Change is necessary: study success and make changes.

Last week I reluctantly sent in my tiny $25 to support the forum but I waited until past the due date and almost decided to just let it go. I don't like letting go but the forum powers to be have to Listen and make changes.

Just Do It.

Jeff - I already stated in my post I know about the new answers feature - it's just one extra

step that every other forum I visit doesn't make you do. These little things (I listed many

others) add up to a format that is in my opinion, outdated.

Great information is on this site - I found photo.net after Googling for answers to pretty

sophisticated technical questions and threads from pn kept popping up - but it is not

assimilated and organized well (the limits of the search function especially illustrate this).

And unfortunately, that's where the wheat seperates from the chaff so to speak, on the

web - it's not just about providing a wealth of information but helping people access it

quickly and in a way that is not frustrating.

Personally, I find having to navigate the technical limits of the site makes me less

interested in participating. Others may not. But there is no doubt it does drive at least

some potentially valuable contributors away, which I think speaks to the original topic of

the thread.

I'm starting to get serious with my wedding biz, so I lurk around here a bit.

<p>

This forum has a distinctly 90s feel, which was fine in the past. But given the number of forums out there, this place ain't gonna to draw any new blood now. That is the biggest problem IMO.

<p>

Also, where is the photography?!? To steal someone else's line, "talking about photography is like dancing about architecture." More examples, 'show and tell', whatever. Let's see some work!