Buying a new Computer on a Limited Budget

My laptop was just too slow for serious photo editing, so last month purchased an HP Quad Core with 3 gb of RAM and Vista. No problems loading PS CS3 or MS Office. Video card limited for gaming but more than adequate for PS Work, so out of the box works fine, no upgrades required. Cost of the machine was $1150 at Circuit City. I've been delighted so far.

I've worked professionally in the graphics field on both PC's and Macs.

Here's the thing: those who love Macs (~7% of the market) are diehard, rabid Mac fiends. Mac rules, everything else sucks. The reality is that once upon a time, big graphics software companies (ie Adobe) wrote software for the Mac, then adapted it for the PC. In the mid '90s, there was a paradigm shift- those companies started writing for the PC and adapting it for the mac. The reason so many graphic designers still use macs is because most printers are still using equipment driven by macs, and are resisting the changeover.

Don't think that Macs are the be-all-end-all. They also occasionally have compatability issues (we had a HELL of a time changing over from 8.5 to X).

The reality is, you DO get more bang for your buck with PC's.

HELP please, i need to buy an entire digital darkroom kit, soon. i have a ?3000 budget for the whole thing, which i cant afford to stretch, does anybody on here have the kit and could they give me a list of what exactly i need and what you might recommend ? and would it be possible to email me at alice.enderby@hotmail.co.uk, would be a huge help !