Rolleiflex lens hood

jermaine_scott

I have a Rolleiflex MX-Synch. I have noticed flare on some of my pictures. I

am looking to purchase a lens hood for the camera. My question is does it

matter if its a genuine Rollei lens hood? I have seen the generic version for

the Bay I. Here is a picture. What do you think? Generic or Genuine Rollei?<div>00MwKn-39118584.jpg.34671dac119ba93efcab2806a17552a8.jpg</div>

Hi Jermaine

The generic hood looks fine to me, but I can't tell what the back of the generic hood (ie the bayonet part of the hood)is made of. If it's metal it will be OK, but if it's plastic, be careful.

My original Rollei bay 1 hood measures about 24mm or 15/16 of an inch front to back, if you want to compare this with the generic hood.

Looking at the picture of the hood it looks like an internal bayonet as opposed to and

external bayonet. If that is the case won't be able to put it over the top of rolleinars and

filters. bay 1 and 2 Rollei shades are not that expensive. I would get one.

Unless you NEED to use filters or close up adapters, just get the hood that's immediately

available because it is most important to protect the lens from rain and from getting an

accidental strike and a scratch. The hood will greatly improve your contrast for most

photos.

If you get a hood that fits on the inner bayonet it will be a real PITA if you EVER want to use filters. I've seen Bay 3 generic hoods like the ones Stuart mentioned. they're fine because they fit on the outer bayonet, just like Rollei hoods. There were plenty of bay. 1 hoods made by companies other than Rollei in the '50s and even genuine F&H bay 1 hoods are more common and much cheaper than bay 3 ones. Do your self a favor, if you ever plan to use filters and don't buy something you'lljust have to replace.