Anybody know where these folks went?

These were some of my favorites, and much to my dismay, they are gone! Fine

photographers all. Three are serious award winners on an international scale.

Ilona Wellmann (updated 2007-02-27) [remove]

Jim McNitt (updated 2007-01-25) [remove]

Dominic Rouse (updated 2006-09-30) [remove]

Bourson Stephane (updated 2006-06-17) [remove]

Leping Zha (updated 2006-03-09) [remove]

Britova Elena (updated 2005-08-20) [remove]

Alexey Lobur (updated 2005-07-01) [remove]

Lasse Hoile (updated 2003-10-03) [remove]

I'm guessing these are copied from your "Interesting" people list (which is why the "remove" is there).

A quick look shows that most of them have logged into the site in the past few months. Even those who aren't marked as updated since 2003. I'm not really sure what classifies as an update. But it shows that they are still here, just maybe not contributing as much.

Yeah, for being so baseless. I just looked at some of those accounts and they are all active. Their users simply chose to leave. Not as if they did much besides show off their wares anyway (as good as they were).

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=298491

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=609092

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=745882

(this fellow came back to sell his printer)

etc.

People leave for a variety of reasons. I have seen quite a few good photographers use PN as a kind of a stepping stone to launch their image making careers. Once they start getting getting jobs and making money, it's hard to spend a lot of time on photo websites. Change and the flow of people in and out is a naturally occurring phenomena here on PN and elsewhere. I do miss quite a few people that have left but sure wish them luck in whatever they do.

I see more people leave for the opposite reason. They lose interest in photography beyond snaps of their kids and family events and don't post anymore. I've corresponded with a number of people who left because it wasn't a big part of their lives any more. This even happens with pros - photography becomes a job and their real interests lie elsewhere.

That is correct, Josh.

And Tim, I also suspect you are correct. I was just wondering. There was (is) a lot of talent in this list. I know Dominic won a Spider Award for Best Portfolio in 2006. Hated to see him fade away. He got very little recognition here except when I mentioned him here on this forum. I guess with a zillion photographers out there we all become like ants. I am not criticizing, just observing.

And Jeff, your work has always been inspiring!